turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I go back & not defer my self employed taxes & then use my last years income to file my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

How do I go back & not defer my self employed taxes & then use my last years income to file my taxes?

Here are instructions on how to enter the deferral amount of zero. The last line of the instructions are for the '0' deferral.

In order to enter the amount of the self-employment tax payment that you would like to defer:

• Go to Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll to Tax relief related to COVID-19
  • Last item in this category is Self-employment tax deferral, Click Start
  • Do you want more time to pay self-employment taxes? Then Yes
  • Let's start by  getting your eligible income, calculated by tax software
  • Enter self-employment income earned from March 27 to the end of the year in the box
  • Continue
  • The next screen will display the amount eligible for deferral. Enter the amount that you wish to defer. If no deferral is desired, enter zero.

Then you will be able to use last years income to file your taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

unfortunately when i click "start" for the SE tax deferral and "yes" to do you want more time etc.... it says you are not eligible for this deferral..... however then it continues to ask me at the end how much I made between march and december and gives me an automatic deferral. I'm not getting the same options that you seem to be getting,

Those instructions don't work for me. Because I'm getting a federal refund, I'm not eligible to defer. Then when I do the federal review again, the line item to review is the same: Sch SE-T: Max deferral line 18 must be entered.

What should I fill in, and what are the tax consequences of that? I hate diving into forms this way.

yeah, this is so stressful, im just trying to file and be done with this. been waiting well over a week for them to fix this glitch, and im really hoping they do, otherwise im just going to enter 0 and say F*** it.

Just delete the form! 

Hi @caseyrubin97 the IRS is not accepting returns until February 12, so you might as well sit back and wait for the TT engineers to fix this.

no need, i ended up figuring it out! copying and pasting my solution from the other thread. i ended up filing and my forms look fine! the way i did it is kind of a way to beat the system glitch.

"I finally figured out a solution. It doesn't let us do this section if we are going to be issued a refund. If we owe money, we can fill out the self employment tax deferral section. Delete the other portions of your income, I deleted my W2s and my recovery rebate credit, to the point where I then owed a balance. Then, I went to the self employment tax deferral, and when it asked me if I wanted more time to pay my taxes, I clicked yes. Then, when I entered the amount I made during the months of March through December, I entered the amount I made. Then it asked me how much I wanted to defer and I put 0. Then I proceeded to add my W2s and the fact that I didn't get my stimulus, and then I was given the refund I was supposed to get without deferring anything. So the solution is that you have to fill out that deferral section before entering your income that is causing your refund, in other words do that section while you still owe a balance and then enter the other stuff. "

I was at this for hours, I finally left each box blank, Do Not enter 0, and it went through!

This solved it for me. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies