turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I contact specific IRS agent who generated a letter, when they just say "info is missing" but don't specify what ? Rep on 1040 line couldn't help or transfer.

Submitted 2016 return last month due to medical issues - have a refund due.  They sent me a letter saying 2 forms are "incomplete or missing".  I just called and the rep on the main 1040 line confirmed the forms are NOT missing.  She couldn't say what any "incomplete" info might be that they want, nor could she transfer me to someone who could. They just want me to send a letter to the IRS general PO Box asking for more info. Then Iwait for a return letter, then send info, then wait another 8 weeks.  How do you get to the agent who actually generated a letter? (same agent who made a mistake in what Form the line # and amount appears on so I don't know how accurate their work is.) - Update April 7 2018: After unproductive calls with a nice but brand new 1st day on the job rep at the IRS, I asked for a supervisor and got a callback 2 days later.  He couldn't figure it out either and referred me to a Taxpayer Advocate.  They said that the person reviewing my paper /mailed return would not have had access to my 1099-T (Tuition)  forms  already on file w/the IRS and thus marked them incomplete. I submitted them to her and it took her another week to submit to the IRS.  Then I was told wait a month to hear back from her.  It would have been faster to just fax these forms in but I knew the IRS already had them.  Doesn't make sense that tax return reviewers can't see the 1099's already on file because "they are in a system they don't have access to."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
maglib
Level 11

How do I contact specific IRS agent who generated a letter, when they just say "info is missing" but don't specify what ? Rep on 1040 line couldn't help or transfer.

When you say, you got a letter, how did you?  The IRS will not contact you by email and that could be a phishing scam.  The letter from the IRS will normally indicate what is missing.  

The IRS phone number is 1-800-829-1040 7AM-7PM mon-fri

DO NOT choose the option of refund, you will be sent to the automated tax refunds area.

The other number in the answer is the IRS Social Security number is 1-800-829-0922.

There is also 1-800-829-3676 which is free IRS tax HELP for FORMS.

And 1-800-829-4933 for IRS Business Taxes.

Whenever you call, make sure you write down and get the persons ID number, they say it so fast. This way you have a point of reference.

To check the status of your refund Go to: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp  is the link to the IRS website for Where's my Refund updates.

MAKE SURE that when you click the link you get to a HTTPS site which means secure....

You can use either filers SSN for MFJ returns.

There is a tab at the top for help determining information needed to enter.

Often it takes 24 hours for this information to be updated.

TO GET A COPY OF YOUR IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT and AGI:

A free IRS return transcript via mail or online is the quickest option and has most of the information from your return. Go to the IRS transcript site and follow the online instructions.

To get a transcript via mail (which most people can do)

I hope this was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

I got a paper letter via US Mail.  I didn't need any of your included info but thanks anyway. The letter does NOT say what is missing.

Does not sound right.  The IRS would tell you what they want.   Is there a letter number in the upper right corner of the letter?

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes it is for missing info.  Letter says missing or incomplete forms but they verified they have the forms and seem to be complete.

Hello my name is John Coleman I filed my taxes January 24th and still yet to receive them I need help

AmyC
Expert Alumni

There should be a phone number in the upper right hand corner. Please use the IRS link and type in the notice or letter information for more information.

IRS Notice or Letter

Turbo Tax Audit Support Center

I have to wonder if it might be a scam. If nothing matches up with the IRS link, you may want to report them at 800-829-1040.

@Jcoleman42

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies