turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend an accepted return? I forgot to add my 1099-G the first time.

I filed my 2020 taxes early and didn't submit the 1099-G form when I did it, I wasn't sure if I was going to get one and I thought I could just put it in later if I did. A few days later I got one in the mail and when I tried to amend my return I found out I had to wait until it was either accepted or rejected first. I e-filed if that makes any difference.

Well I just got an alert that my return was accepted but I still cannot figure out how to amend it so I can put in my 1099-G. Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to do to fix this?

Thank you so much for any and all help 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

I tried that page before but it didn't help :(. Where is says:

In TurboTax, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. Select Show and then select Amend (change) return, and then Amend using TurboTax Online. (If you don't see Your tax returns & documents, select Tax Home on the left.)

It doesnt have a "Amend (change) return" option. These are the options I have under the "Your tax returns & documents"

Download/print return (PDF)

My Docs

Smart Insights™

View adjusted gross income (AGI)

View order details

View efile details

Download .tax file

You cannot amend right after the return has been accepted.  You need to wait for it to be processed.  The Form 1040X is not even available yet,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So when exactly can I amend my return to add this form? Do I wait until I get my refund in? This is the first year we've ever had to do this so I am a little upset at myself for messing up like this 😕

@dbzcat wrote:

So when exactly can I amend my return to add this form? Do I wait until I get my refund in? This is the first year we've ever had to do this so I am a little upset at myself for messing up like this 😕

If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The IRS Form 1040-X is scheduled to be available on 02/26/2021 (subject to change)

"If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return."

Ok so what if the return WAS e-filed? I can not just electronically amend? Will it still take 16 weeks if I do it through e-file again? I am sorry I am still so confused as what and when I am supposed to do this. I know I have to wait until the 1040X forms are available yes? Can I just e-file that form when it is available?

I'm stuck in a similar problem, and I've received the same answers. "A form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original return was not e-filed" 

My return was e-filed, did you get a response as to when the 1040X will be available? Looks like (possibly) for both of us, it's a waiting game. 

The federal 1040X will not be available until the end of the month.   Trying to file an amended return before your original return has been processed can create confusion that could delay your refund for months,  Be prudent and wait.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies