turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carreala

How do I add my 1098-T to my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ddaven12

If you have not yet filed your tax return you can add the form by following the steps below:

Please follow the steps  below to enter the 1098-T in TurboTax Online:

·         Sign into your Online account.

·         Click the button that says "Take me to my return."

·         Select ‘Federal’ in the left panel.

·         Next click on Deductions & Credits at the top

·         Scroll down to the Education section. Click Show more next to Scholarships, student loans, tuition (1098-E and 1098-T).

Select Start/Revisit next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) and follow the onscreen instructions to enter the form.

If you have already filed your tax return you would first need to wait and see if your tax return is accepted or rejected. If rejected, you can go back and add the form by following the steps above.

If accepted, you should wait until after you have received your tax refund and then Amend your return to add the form.

Here's additional information on Amending (Instructions for 2017 will be available soon)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Please note, due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, there are no longer any "short" forms. Starting in 2018, everyone uses the same Form 1040.  

To enter your Form 1098-T in TurboTax Online for the current tax year (2019), please follow these steps:

1. Login to your TurboTax Online account
  2. Search for 1098T and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. Answer any education questions that pop up (enrollment status, name of school, and so forth).
    • If you land on the Education Expenses Summary screen, select Edit next to the student in question, then edit the tuition item
  4. At the "Did you or your dependent(s) get a 1098-T?" screen, answer "Yes" and select "Continue"
  5. After you enter your 1098-T, TurboTax will ask about other education expenses you may have incurred (books, supplies, equipment) as well as your financial aid (if applicable).

If you need to add a 1098-T to a previous tax year that you have already filed, you will need to Amend that return.  Please follow these instructions to Amend a previous year's return: 

How to Change a Tax Return you Already Filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

hello do i need to add my 1098T if not geting the education tax break

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

No, if you are not eligible to receive an education credit or deduction you do not need to include your Form 1098-T in your tax return unless one of the following applies:

• The amount of your scholarships reported in Box 5 exceeds the qualified education expenses reported in Box 1 (if you did not use your scholarship for qualified education expenses it may be taxable)
  • There is an amount reported in Box 4, Adjustments for a Prior Year (if an adjustment is listed in Box 4 you may have to pay back a portion of the credit you received in a prior year)

@denisse346

do I put the amount on my taxes

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

To file your 1098-T please follow the steps below:

1. Open (continue) your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 1098T .
  3. Click Jump to 1098T in the search results.
  4. Answer any education questions that pop up (enrollment status, name of school, and so forth).
  • If you land on the Education Expenses Summary screen, click Edit next to the student in question, then edit the Tuition item.

Additional Information on 1098-T's.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies