turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsand-401

How can I edit section about stimulus payments? I indicated I only received one. I forgot I have received two.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

How can I edit section about stimulus payments? I indicated I only received one. I forgot I have received two.

To quickly get to the stimulus section of TurboTax:

1. Search for stimulus and select the jump-to link at the top of the search results to return back to the section.
  2. Enter your updated info and Continue.

If you've already e-filed your tax return but need to make some changes to the Stimulus amount, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before the IRS opens on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return:

1. Please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you. 
  2. You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Note: Stimulus payments were advances on the Recovery Rebate Credit. Stimulus payments are not taxable income to you so you won't be taxed on the amount you receive. It won’t reduce your refund or increase what you owe when you file your taxes this year. It’s also not considered income, so it won’t affect your eligibility for any federal government assistance or benefits. To review the TurboTax FAQ, click here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm curious, why just the stimulus and not the rest of the tax return? I am very grateful to change it but need to enter that !099 INT thing too. Oh well I guess it will be ok. Does it let you change the amounts or just delete the whole thing.

I think TT is gtreat by the way!

Once you have the return you will be able to make the other changes that are needed before you file it again.

emilar59

That would be great!

Hi, I never received my taxes back?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:  

•  Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

TurboTax will compare your two payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

But I have not received it back yet , though I entered my information on the form .

I submitted my containment form and never received my taxes back? Why?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

If you are saying you filed your tax return with your stimulus information and you are waiting for an acceptance, and/or your refund, the IRS opens for e-file on February 12th.  Although they are doing some testing to prepare for the opening, you should not expect any news before February 13th or a day later. There will be a huge volume waiting for the IRS on opening day.

Please update the issue if you have more questions. 

In the initial expert response by Helen. She refers to an opportunity from turbo tax to review your taxes if you repliy by Feb 6 with your tax form information.  It says turbo tax would let you correct your form on Feb 8. I have not received it back yet.

Cuttee00

I received my 2nd stimulus check after I filed my taxes. Is there a way to amend prior to it being filed on February 12th?

@Cuttee00 wrote:

I received my 2nd stimulus check after I filed my taxes. Is there a way to amend prior to it being filed on February 12th?

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

Please read the initial expert reply @HelenC12 before replying. She refers to a special opportunity to review. 2nd part of e-mail. Thank you. If Helen C12 is around, please reply.

@emilar59 wrote:

Please read the initial expert reply @HelenC12 before replying. She refers to a special opportunity to review. 2nd part of e-mail. Thank you. If Helen C12 is around, please reply.

That review of an e-filed tax return was only available up through February 6, 2021.  After that date it is no longer possible to pull back a 2020 e-filed tax return.

Manage cookies