Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello. I filed my tax return which included the 2nd stimulus payment that I had not received yet. Of course, after filing I received it from IRS. What should I do?

Basically, I filed for a 2nd stimulus before finally receiving from IRS, and the IRS has accepted my return. How do I avoid a double payment that could get me audited or worse?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hello. I filed my tax return which included the 2nd stimulus payment that I had not received yet. Of course, after filing I received it from IRS. What should I do?

For you to do, the IRS will adjust the return appropriately. This can delay your return a bit. If for any reason they failed to make the adjustment you can amend the return later after receive the original refund.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If your return has been accepted you will have to wait and see if your refund includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return (1040X) and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

Please see IRS Recovery Rebate Credit Q D2 What happens if I claim the incorrect amount? for additional information.

Please see the links below when Form 1040X is available:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies