Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got another w2 and I've already filed my taxes. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You must add the W-2 to your tax return.

If your return has been submitted- please wait - if it's rejected for some reason, you can add your W-2 and re-send the return.

If your return has been submitted and accepted- you will have to amend; the return is mailed; takes about 16 weeks to process. Here are amending instructions:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You need to wait for the first return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS. If rejected, you can then add the second W-2 and refile the return electronically. If it's accepted, then you need to wait for the refund to be issued, then prepare an amended return, print, sign and mail it in, and wait the 12 weeks for them to process it and mail you any additional refund you may be entitled to.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below on amending your tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Maria61
Returning Member

I have 2 more w-2 's can I go ahead and file them

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

You can't just file them.  You will need to amend your tax return to include the additional W-2 forms.

If you have filed your return and it has been accepted, you will need to file an amended return. 

See the attached link for instructions to help you amend your return. 

How to amend my return

If you have not filed your return yet, you can simply add the additional W-2 forms into the federal interview section of the program as follows:

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)
  3. Click Edit/Add to the right of the Job (W-2) 
  4. The next page will have boxes that say "Add a W-2 for..."Select the appropriate taxpayer and enter the information for each W-2. 

Repeat this process to add each W-2 Form.

dchick1
Returning Member

can i what to get my money and file agin

dchick1
Returning Member

can i file it next year

dchick1
Returning Member

can i file it next year

dchick1
Returning Member

can i file it next year my 2021

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you will need to file an amended return this year to report the late W2. You will need to wait until 2/24 to amend your return if the IRS has accepted your return by that date. Once these two conditions have been met, you may prepare your amended return by:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to under Your tax returns & documents,
  3. Select Amend (change) 2021 return,
  4. Then Start amending my 2021 return.
  5. Then, select the reason you’re amending and follow the onscreen instructions.

What if while im waiting for the date to arrive to Amend my taxes i receive my State refund? I need to add another W-2 to my taxes so i dont believe its the right amount

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The return cannot be changed at this time, and you should wait until the return is either accepted or rejected.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to modify it before you resubmit.  

If your return is accepted, you can amend or correct your return if there is a missing W-2.  You will want to wait until your original return is processed.  Sometimes the IRS makes adjustments there, and you do not want two versions of your return in process at the same time.  There is no additional charge to use Turbo Tax to amend your federal or state return.

Below is a Turbo Tax FAQ with step-by-step instructions to amend.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Tax year 2021 federal amend form should be available by Feb 24th, and you can check that at this list of IRS forms and dates. IRS Forms Available Estimates

Dmagle1

Can i file w2 and uneplyment seprete 

All income from all sources for the same tax year must be filed on the same tax form.  

JillS56
Expert Alumni

No, you should not.   If you know you do not have all of your documents, you cannot file separate returns for each of the documents.   You should hold off filing until you receive all of your tax documents.   

When you file your return you are attesting "Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return and accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and complete. Declaration of preparer (other than taxpayer) is based on all information of which preparer has any knowledge."

Filing the return knowing you do not have all the forms would be considered perjury of the above statement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies