Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

noahrl95

Got an email saying my refund is on it's way. How do you know?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Who sent you the email, TurboTax or the IRS?

TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS once they have accepted your return. You can track your refund with the IRS Where’s My Refund link https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did aswell but from turbotax saying refund is on its way? What does that mean?

If you used the refund processing service to have the TT fees withheld from the federal refund then the third party processing bank gets notice from the IRS of the pending deposit so they send an email notice to you ... confirm this by checking on the IRS site to see if the refund has been approved and when it has actually been sent : https://www.irs.gov/refunds

So this means that if I am paying TT with my Federal Refund, that’s why I am getting an e-mail from Intuit saying congrats, because they got paid, even though the IRS app isn’t updated yet? Basically, I should be expecting my refund soon?  

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an old thread that may contain outdated information.  

Turbo Tax will not know when your refund is going to be released.

You can visit the IRS website to track your refund. 
IRS.GOV

If you selected to have your Turbo Tax fees taken out of your refund, there is a charge. You can see if you were charged the fee. 

This link will provide more information on the Refund Processing Fee.

How do I review my fees in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does the email you got say your  refund is on the way or your return is on the way? Tax filers often confuse the words refund and return. TurboTax may advise you that your tax return that you just completed and submitted for efiling is on the way but that is not your refund.  TurboTax has no idea when the IRS is paying your refund because TurboTax gets no information from the IRS about refunds so you would not get an email from TurboTax saying that your refund is on the way.

It says “Congrats, your refund is on the way”. Today is 21 days after the IRS accepted my returns. So maybe it’s an automated message? The IRS where my refund app, says that there is a delay, but apparently that’s an error on the IRS end this year and I shouldn’t worry about that. But again, today is 21 days and I had a simple return. No extra money coming my way, or extra payments. Just a simple w2 return. Worked at 1 place the entire year. Nothing extra to add. Thanks in advance for all the help. 

First ignore the automated TT congrats ... it means nothing and should be closed down.

Next ... 21 days is only a goal for the IRS  and 9 of 10 returns do get processed in 21 days or less  HOWEVER not all of them do  ... and if you have anything on lines 27 and/or 28 on the form 1040 those returns will not start processing until mid feb and the refunds expected to start goingin out by 3/1.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

Thank you. I appreciate the frankness of the reply. I’d rather just hear it straight. Seems like I fall into the 10% of people who won’t get it in 21 days. Which is typical for me, even though I just have a standard return. No dependents of any kind. Just bad luck I suppose. Oh well. Thanks again.  

I got the same email but it’s only been 16 days since mine were accepted, so I don’t think it’s an automated message. 

I wonder what it’s about then. As someone stated earlier, they should just get rid of it. It’s really dumb if it has zero significance. 

Lol u just want knw until it pop up

I received the same email two days ago and my taxes were accepted 2/1/2023. I'm curious about the email as well. Why send something like that if it's not actually relevant to the status of your refund... 

Just curious how long it took for u to receive your refund after u got the email from tt stating it's on the way!? I got accepted 3/6 and just got the email 3/9 so that's really fast if what the email is saying is a actually true !thnx 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies