Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Forgot to claim Frontline Worker Pay

I filed Jan 23rd. 2am

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, then you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted or rejected that return before you can make any changes. You can amend your return to make changes.

If the IRS rejects it, then you can make the needed changes and re-submit the return, by following the below instructions:

How do I fix a rejected return?

If they accept it, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund, if applicable, and then amend that return to make changes, if needed. Amended returns have to be printed and mailed in and take up to 16 weeks to be processed.  

If accepted, wait until you have received your refund or taxes due paid, then you can follow the instructions below on how to amend your tax return.  

How to File an Amended Tax Return with the IRS

@Freshie4life1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Stef3565
Returning Member

Hi I enter the hero pay on my state and federal did I get taxed twice?

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

No.  Frontline Worker Pay is only taxable on your Federal tax return.

This payment:

• Is taxable on your federal income tax return. Report it on line 8 of federal Schedule 1 (Form 1040).
  • Is not taxable in Minnesota and not included in household income. If you report the payment on line 8 of Schedule 1, subtract it on these lines:
    • Line 29 of Schedule M1M, Income Additions and Subtractions.
    • Line 10 of Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter’s Property Tax Refund.
    • Line 5b of Schedule M1ED, K-12 Education Credit.

For more information, please see MN Department of Revenue: Frontline Worker Pay 

How do i go back and put it in if i have not filed yet

I did not receive a form for mn it does not give me that option to put in Only to select form 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You are correct the amount will be Federal Taxable Income and MN will not be sending out forms 1099 since the amount is below $600.  Therefore you will enter that pay as "Other reportable income."  

The income is not taxable by MN so you will be asked to enter the payment amount in the MN interview as well so that a subtraction will be made on your MN return.

1. Click "Wages & Income" in the left-hand menu
  2. Scroll down to "Less Common Income"
  3. "Show More"
  4. "Start" Miscellaneous Income
  5. Scroll to "Other Reportable Income"
  6. "Start"
  7. Enter "MN Frontline Pay" and the amount
  8. Continue to complete the topic interview
  9. Click "State" in the Left-hand menu
  10. Click "Your State Returns"
  11. Continue MN
  12. Click through to the page for the MN Frontline Pay
  13. Enter the same amount you entered in the federal interview
  14. Complete the state interview

Unfortunately amending the return now may be premature. The IRS is supposedly trying to decide if this is even taxable at the federal level. They are suggesting not filing yet to avoid an amended return (again).
https://patch.com/minnesota/woodbury/irs-mn-frontline-workers-should-hold-2022-taxes 

Mine is added under line 8(z) but when i go to e-file it gives me error "Schedule M1M: Frontline Worker Pay should be blank.  To qualify for subtraction you must report this payment as income on your federal return."  I entered the information exactly as you have stated, Any idea why this error prompts? It will not allow me to e-file.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like the income is not being reported on the Federal 1040 tax return line 8.  are you able to view the income?

You can review the 1040 in TurboTax Online by following these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click on View Tax Summary.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Preview My 1040 to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Back to return.

The Minnesota Frontline Worker Pay is reported as income on the Federal 1040 tax return line 8 and Schedule 1 line 8z.  The software will find the income on the Federal tax return before it may be removed by the Minnesota tax return.

To enter Minnesota Frontline Worker, follow these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Click Show more to the right of Less Common Income.
  • Select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A.
  • Select Other reportable Income.
  • As a description enter MN Frontline Worker Pay.

In the Minnesota tax return, remove the income at the screen Frontline Worker Pay.

@ericjj8838 

I have went back verified and re-verified that the income was added in the correct area on the federal return and also the question in the Minnesota return was answered with that amount so it’s get deducted on that return. I’m at a loss as to what it might be! We filed my sons return with no issues by doing the suggested tasks so so I’m puzzled as to why our return is giving us this error. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Many times there is just a stray entry that causes a reject error.  Start by going back to your federal return interview and deleting all Frontline Worker Pay entries you previously made.   

Next go back as @JamesG1 suggested to be sure the income is no longer on your federal return. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click on View Tax Summary.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Preview My 1040 to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • You are verifying the amount is not included on line 8 and/or 10, Schedule 1.  
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Back to return.

To enter Minnesota Frontline Worker, follow these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Click Show more to the right of Less Common Income.
  • Select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A.
  • Select Other reportable Income.
  • As a description enter MN Frontline Worker Pay.

In the Minnesota tax return interview, verify the entry is still there at the screen Frontline Worker Pay.  It should be; but if not, re-add it there.  

So, when you go to Other reportable income, it says that you have to upgrade to Deluxe and now have to pay, it's no longer the Free Edition. Is there another way to put in the Frontline pay without having to pay in TurboTax??

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

No. If it is requiring you to upgrade, then it will require you to upgrade in order to file the return with Turbo Tax. @Wendy2013 

Thank you for your answer.  It was not what I wanted to hear, but that figures for taxes and the government.  It is nice to have been given the Frontline workers pay although now that I have entered it in to be figured with the tax information all the numbers have changed.  My federal dollar amount went down, so did the state refund amount.  With that you have to add the additional cost for the upgraded plan for doing taxes! It has made the great frontline worker pay have kind of a sour taste. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies