turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally checked myself as independent but im dependent, how do i change that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I accidentally checked myself as independent but im dependent, how do i change that?

First, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return -- the IRS will not even begin processing returns until January 23, so you have a few weeks to wait.  Meanwhile, do NOT try to change anything on your return or you will make the problem worse.

So did you file a return that said no one else could claim you as a dependent and now your parent's return is being rejected?  But really you can be claimed as their dependent?  

Your parents will have to prepare their return that claims you as a dependent and MAIL it to the IRS.  They cannot e-file now.  But they can go ahead and do that without waiting for you to amend your return.

Your part of fixing this is to file an amended return. You have to change the answer you gave in Personal Info when you were asked if you can be claimed on someone else’s tax return. Wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  

The form you will need to prepare an amended return is called a 1040X, which becomes available sometime in February.  You amend to say in Personal Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Then you print and mail your 1040X.  It will then take 2-4 months for the IRS to process your amended return. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You can make that correction in Personal Info--did you already file your return, though?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

yes i did
weasegb

yes

First, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return -- the IRS will not even begin processing returns until January 23, so you have a few weeks to wait.  Meanwhile, do NOT try to change anything on your return or you will make the problem worse.

So did you file a return that said no one else could claim you as a dependent and now your parent's return is being rejected?  But really you can be claimed as their dependent?  

Your parents will have to prepare their return that claims you as a dependent and MAIL it to the IRS.  They cannot e-file now.  But they can go ahead and do that without waiting for you to amend your return.

Your part of fixing this is to file an amended return. You have to change the answer you gave in Personal Info when you were asked if you can be claimed on someone else’s tax return. Wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  

The form you will need to prepare an amended return is called a 1040X, which becomes available sometime in February.  You amend to say in Personal Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Then you print and mail your 1040X.  It will then take 2-4 months for the IRS to process your amended return. 

Does this mean that your parents will also have to wait 2-4 months for their tax returns? will it cause a problem when they file you as a dependent? 

jo234ey

My parents filed first and claimed me. Then I accidentally filed as independent and my return was accepted. Do I have to change anything or amend my return?

If your parents claimed you and you claimed yourself then one of the returns should have rejected.  Or did they mail their return?  

Are you their dependent?  Here are the rules for claiming a dependent.  Do you qualify as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

jo234ey

I was wrong, my parents had not claimed me yet. My return was accepted so I guess I have to submit the amended form through mail now. Why is there not a way to submit this online?

So they will have to mail their return to claim you.  You will have to amend your return.

Sorry all Amended returns have to be mailed, except NY state.

How to amend a 2019 Online return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies