Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First time using TurboTax and loved it. But what do we need to do with our w2s after we file? Do we keep them? Or have to send them in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

First time using TurboTax and loved it. But what do we need to do with our w2s after we file? Do we keep them? Or have to send them in?

You keep them with your records.  You do not mail them to the IRS.

As stated on the back of the W-2 -
Keep Copy C of Form W-2 for at least 3 years after the due date for filing your income tax return. However, to help protect your social security benefits, keep Copy C until you begin receiving social security benefits, just in case there is a question about your work record and/or earnings in a particular year.

Why is my taxes keep being rejected

Anonymous
Not applicable

social security periodically sends out earnings statements showing social security compensation from the day you were born.    I only keep my W-2's until I receive such a report and check that the numbers are accurate.  the only items that will be reported are social security wages (not gross wages or medicare wages) and self-employment income subject to social security taxes.  by the way, social security has copies of the actual w-2's that go back for some people to the 1970's 

as to why rejection - there may be a form in the return that has not been approved by the IRS for 2019.  

it could be something else like a bad prior year AGI.  if you post the reject code maybe we could help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies