turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filled my taxes and missing stimulus Check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you have not received your second stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Rebate Recovery Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computation within TurboTax is based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Rebate Recovery Credit.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Rebate Recovery Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:

•  Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

TurboTax will compare your two payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am missing stimulus check #2 and I followed the instructions but I am not seeing the missing amount in the 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate credit. It's listed as blank.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are qualified based your 2020 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), and did not get the full amount of the stimulus payments, then you must ensure you are entering the amount of stimulus payments you did receive to ensure that the credit calculates correctly.

Please follow the steps below:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. You will come to a page titled Let's double-check the amount you received and it will list the first-round and second-round payments based on your 2020 return.
  4. Answer No for the question, Is this what you received? 
  5. Enter the amounts of the first and second round stimulus payments you received. I have attached a screenshot below for additional guidance. 

Your Recovery Rebate Credit will be the difference between what you were qualified for on your 2020 tax return less the amount of your first and second stimulus payments you have already received.

If the Recovery Rebate Credit is still not showing, then please review the requirements below to ensure you, your spouse and your dependents (if applicable) do qualify to receive the stimulus payment.

To qualify, you must:

• Be a US citizen or resident alien.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. 
  • Have an 2020 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint. If your AGI is above this amount, your payment will be reduced. 

In addition, per the IRS, to be a qualifying child of an individual for purposes of the payment, generally the individual must live with the child for more than half of the tax year, the child must not provide over half of his or her own support for the calendar year, and the child must not file a joint return for the tax year. The child also must be the individual’s child, stepchild, eligible foster child, sibling, grandchild, niece, or nephew.  In addition, to be claimed as a qualifying child, the child must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other qualifying resident alien. The child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment. Also, a qualifying child must have an SSN valid for employment or an adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN). A child who has an ITIN is not a qualifying child for this payment.

For more information, please see Calculating the Economic Impact Payment.

@Binnie147

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies