Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed 1098-T as student when parents were supposed to

Realized after filing my tax returns that I had entered in the 1098-T when my parents were the ones who were supposed to. I also could not find out how to amend it. How do I know the 1098-T was claimed? I also read that TurboTax doesn't give you the credit because I claimed as dependent. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To double check your return to be sure that no education credit was claimed, take a look at your Form 1040 to be sure there is nothing on line 18a.  Also check for Schedule 3 line 3.  

If there is an education credit included, you will also have Form 8863 as part of your tax return.  

One last place to look is Schedule 1 line 21.  

If your return does not have Schedule 1 or Schedule 3, that is nothing to worry about.  It just means those forms were not needed and there is nothing to report.  

If there is nothing on any of the lines described above, then you should not need to do anything further with your return.  Your parents should be fine claiming your education expenses.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you filed and marked that you were claimed as a dependent, you may be okay.

You definitely need to look at your actual return and see what forms were filed. Please log in and say you want to print your return. When you do, it will pull forms up on your screen so you can see them. The step after that is if you actually want to print the forms.

Does your tax return show that someone is claiming you?

Does your return show education credits?

If anything is wrong and your return is accepted by the IRS, you will need to wait until the money is processed and settled before you can file an amended return. That is a long process that will have to be settled before your parents can claim you.

The chances are high that your parents will have to mail in their return with an explanation that your return is in the amend process.

Here are links to help you:

Where's my refund

file an amended return.

track an amended return

The tax return does show that someone is claiming me and appears to be no education credits. The return amount was the same after entering the 1098-T, perhaps the system caught it before sending it through? I had read that others experienced a jump in their return when entering their 1098-T. Thanks!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To double check your return to be sure that no education credit was claimed, take a look at your Form 1040 to be sure there is nothing on line 18a.  Also check for Schedule 3 line 3.  

If there is an education credit included, you will also have Form 8863 as part of your tax return.  

One last place to look is Schedule 1 line 21.  

If your return does not have Schedule 1 or Schedule 3, that is nothing to worry about.  It just means those forms were not needed and there is nothing to report.  

If there is nothing on any of the lines described above, then you should not need to do anything further with your return.  Your parents should be fine claiming your education expenses.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies