turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cecebee

Federal not processed - what to do with state return?

I was unable to file electronically because my wife died in 2019.  I filed by mail in April but it was never acknowledged so I filed a second copy in late May.  Still no acknowledgement on the IRS website.  I have a nice refund coming but that's not what has me concerned.  I owe the state of Arizona a few hundred dollars and don't know what to do.  Usually, the state doesn't accept a return unless the Federal return was received satisfactorily.  What should I do to make sure I don't run into problems with Arizona?  I can send them a check and the state return but will they accept it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes you have to mail the state return.

You should not have mailed federal a second time!  That may mess it up and delay it even more.  They were not opening the mail due to Covid-19.

They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Cecebee

Thanks for the reply and yes I now know that I probably shouldn't have sent the second copy.  On the other hand, I don't actually know that the first copy ever reached the destination.  It's what is popularly known as a Catch 22.  

Respectfully, that is not what I was asking, I am not too worried about the Federal return; they will get to it eventually.  What concerns me is how to avoid a problem at the state level.  I seriously doubt that I'm going to find that answer on the IRS web page.

In the TT program ... in the FILE tab step 2 ... Choose the option to mail in the AZ  return and read the options available on how to pay ... then when you print off the AZ return the payment options will be on the filing instruction sheet.

Log in and if you are not given the option to continue the return then scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the account ... then complete the FILE tab. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies