Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal amend return process

I am amending my 2021 taxes, I have the 2021 turbo tax software still on my computer with the original file I had.

I follow the interview question, I should get 0 values after I say I would like to amend.

But the problem is I dont get that 0, it is still showing the old number.

When I completed my amend process, the 1040X is all messed-up, the A column is showing all 0, so it looks like I did not do taxes for 2022 (2021 tax season) at all. That is not what I want.

I only have one small change.

Anyone has a fix?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Column A should have your original tax return numbers in them.  If you used TurboTax for 2021 it should prefill.  If not you have to enter them from your 2021 return.  Column B should be only the item you are changing. Column C will show the correct numbers (Column A + Column B = Column C).

Beginning with the 2019 tax years, amended federal returns are able to be electronically filed as long as you electronically filed the original return. If you filed your return with TurboTax, log into your account and select the tax return that you want to amend and follow the online instructions. For paper-filing amended returns, download a copy of IRS Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Income Tax Return. You can easily find it at the IRS website.

Identify the error you wish to fix

If you are correcting an error on your original tax return, you will need a blank copy of that particular form from the same year. This will allow you to recalculate your tax and to see which numbers on the original tax return will change as a result of the amendment.

Download and prepare new schedules and attachments

When you prepare an amended return, the IRS only wants you to update figures that change. It doesn't require you to complete an entire tax return. However, if any of the original schedules you filed will change because of your amendment, then those schedules must be prepared again and attached to your Form 1040-X. You can amend the necessary forms using TurboTax's prior-year returns function, or you can search through the IRS website for a particular form.

Fill out Form 1040-X

Form 1040-X contains three columns:

• Column A. This column shows the numbers previously reported on your tax return. Use the copy of your tax return you gathered in Step 1 to complete this column.
  • Column B. This column shows how the amounts from your original return need to increase or decrease. For example, if you're amending your gross income to include $50 of interest income missing from your previously filed tax return, you would enter $50 on line 1, column B.
  • Column C. This column shows the correct amount. Just add the amounts from column A and column B and enter the result here.

In Part III of Form 1040-X, you'll need to provide a clear explanation for your reasons for filing an amended return.

When you use TurboTax to prepare your amended return, you don’t need to know all the details. Once you indicate that you’re preparing an amended return, the software will help you fill out Form 1040-X and any supporting forms as you make changes to your income and deductions.

Click here for additional information on "How do I amend my Federal Return for a prior year?"

Click here for "How do I amend my State tax Return?"

Click here for a TurboTax video on amending your tax return.

Click here for how to correct your federal taxes.

Click here for a TurboTax article on filing tax return amendments.

Click here for TurboTax article on amending your tax return.

Click here for additional information on amending your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LindaS5247 

thank you for your reply, I believe I am aware of how 1040x work, I manually filed a few before. My question is why turbotax is broken?

I click amend on turbotax, according to the design, all the original information should automatically go to A column, all new changes should be at B, then the new results is on C.

But when I click amend, all my info (old or new) goes to B, A is all 0, the C is my new results.

Turbotax is not doing me any favor here.

Could you or anyone kindly provide some specific help with my issue here? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies