Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

I did the previously suggested solutions of adding a penny. It worked. The only potential glitch I see is if your original ends in 49 cents -- in that case subtract a penny so you don't round up to the next dollar.

Don't think the one penny idea will work.  We've had the same "reject for duplicate 1099's" 3 times now.  There are several from the same payer but the actual forms correctly indicate 1st party and spouse.  Several were in the 2020 and 2019 transmissions as well.   Amounts are different and the coding properly reflects 1st payer and spouse as does the turbotax document.  Some were downloaded directly and some manually entered.  TurboTax support indicated that they didn't reject anything and that the message came directly from the IRS.  Currently TurboTax instructions say that if it continues, to print and file by mail.  Hate that advice, but baring trying another service not sure how to get TurboTax and the IRS on the same page.

I added .01 to one of my duplicate amount 1099-R forms, resubmitted, and the Federal Form was accepted less than 30 minutes later.  Now my wife and I know not to withdraw the exact same amount from the same mutual fund company IRAs or Roth IRAs.  Our problem was from Roth IRAs that have been open more than 5 years so the money isn't taxable anyway.  Very ironic.

Sooz
Level 3

@wkay99 I agree with you re: TT not taking action. However, if is IS an IRS bug, it's still simpler for TT to modify their edits to prevent the situation on their end. Re: the penny solution, rounding may or may not be taking place - that is not something that we can see on our end. But from experience, the IRS forms typically don't even recognize (or allow) entry of decimals. These 1099s are merely worksheets, and they DO allow decimals.  Whether they USE the decimals in the calculations is not something we are likely to see in action.  Bottom line, the IRS "owns" the system and companies like TT simply "feed" into it - therefore the IRS sets the rules and the "feeder" system should play by the rules.  The recipient (IRS) should NOT have to encounter errors like this because the "feeder" systems should be doing all they can t prevent it.  Shame on TT!!

I agree - shame on TT.  As an update, however, reading through the messages helped me realize that what I'd thought was the problem (2 new records from annuities at the same provider) really wasn't.  We've had 2 small charitable annuities payable 1/2 to each of us for years - so payor and amounts have always been the same - only the payee differed.  So decided to try the $0.01 idea - since changing the gross amount on one would have no affect on the taxable amounts at all.  Anyway, made the change, resubmitted around 2pm and accepted by IRS and state as of now.  Says to me that the problem is definitely an issue with identical payors and amounts and not picking up the detail identifier correctly.  I suspect this to be a transmittal/receiver issue in the interface and it should be address by TT.  Still not sure who or how to get it addressed, however.

Thanks yes you can I hope it works this is the 3 rd time it’s been rejected 

milnivlek
Returning Member

Just ran into this frustrating bug. Someone should inform TurboTax that this is a rather common use case: a couple that's maxing out each of their Backdoor Roth contributions using the same financial institution.

But anyway I've gone ahead and resubmitted my return after applying the 1 cent trick. Fingers crossed that it'll suffice to get around this bug.

My Fed return was rejected for "duplicate 1099-R" even though amounts are different, so the $.01 trick won't work for me. Two 1099's because one amount was for one state's withholding, and the other was for another state. I tried removing the account number - let's see if that works.

But are they both for the same distribution?   Is box 1 the same?   Just enter one 1099R and enter both state withholding on it.   You can enter more than 1 row for boxes 14-16.

Sadly, box 1 is different for each form - one for CA and one for AZ, payer and account numbers are the same. I am reluctant to combine the amounts because this will differ from what was sent to IRS.

My return was rejected again for duplicate 1099-R's, even though the box 1 amounts are different. I understand that TT checking software might flag these because the forms have the same payer, account number, etc. But Vanguard split them into two distributions because they have different state (CA and AZ) withholdings. It seems that this is a fairly common situation, and that TT should allow this to pass.

I tried removing the account numbers, but that didn't work. I guess I can try to total the box 1 amounts into one 1099-R, but this will not match what is sent to the IRS. Is this a bad idea?

I received two 1099's from the same company this year.  Both 1099's have the same distribution amount on line 1 and the same taxable amount on line 2A.   For half of 2021 I lived in CA. and one of the 1099's show CA withholding taxes on line 14 and the other shows no state tax withheld. The IRS keeps rejecting the return because they think I have duplicate 1099's. I was thinking of adding one cent to the line 1 distribution amount to make the numbers look different but not effect the return. What should I do?

Previous comments in this thread indicate that if you add $.01 to one of the 1099's, that TT will accept it. They say add it to both Line 1 and Line 2a of the form.

Not sure it why doesn't work in my case where the Line 1 amounts are clearly different, but good luck!

Yes , add the 1 cent.  That is what I did last year to circumvent this error.  For this year I made sure that we did not have the same distribution amount from each of our accounts.  Did it just in case the issue did not get resolved.  Glad I did.  Could not believe it when I started getting emails about replies to last year’s problem!

Hi PatZZZ, any idea why mine keeps getting rejected with clearly different amounts on line 1?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies