Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

teddavid

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

I had a similar situation because our son died in June and his 401(k) was distributed to me and my wife equally. Therefore we have two 1099s that are in the exact same amount with the exact same withholding. One is made payable to my wife and one is made payable to me. However one of the boxes is checked 4 which is death which indicates it is not a routine distribution. Try explaining that the TurboTax or the IRS!

My tax return has been rejected twice because it says I am submitting a duplicate 1099rR form. Even though the dollar amounts are the same they were issued from two different institutions. one form is a direct rollover and is coded as such in box 7. the other is a taxable dispersment and also coded correctly in box 7. I have checked all the boxes in both 1099r forms and the correct data was entered into turbo Tax. What is the fix? Al
TREM
Level 2

I also have two "unique" 1099r forms (for same person, but very different amounts).  Rejected twice - second time I tweaked part of the payer institution name.    For the 3rd attempt, I just deleted one of the two form imports, and reentered by hand - tweaking institution name, address to be "correct" and usable  (Wy for Way), and name abbreviations.

Awaiting on the response ...    

UPDATE - 3rd submitted return ACCEPTED last night with only the address/payer changes mentioned above (and the replacement of an imported 1099r w/ a hand edited one. Happy day.

faye1doc

If I mail my return, my historical data will not be available for the next time I file.

JimC1946

This morning I added $0.01 to one of my 1099-R's and the IRS accepted it.

I did the changes by a few cents (I had 4 that were all the same amount) -- filed on the 2/6 -- got my refund today!!

That's why I seriously question that this isn't a TT problem.  I think it is and they need to get it fixed.  I've talked to a couple of others who use other software and they haven't had a problem.  We didn't until this year - although we did have two 1099's that we identical except for the person receiving the funds and the account number.  They processed fine with TT previously (lucky us) but blew up this year.  I've applied the workaround, but think the testing is very suspect - since accounting friends I know tell me their software doesn't get rejected.  Well may look for another product next year.

🙄This is the same problem from last year. It appears that TT has decided NOT to fix The problem.  They refuse to let you TALK to a tax expert, unless, you have a premium $$$ support account. What is the definition of extortion? Besides, no matter what the discussion reveals, the E-file will not succeed until the S/W is fixed.  (or you manually alter one of the NOT identical 1099-Rs)

TREM
Level 2

Update - My return ACCEPTED last night with only the address/payer tweaks mentioned above (and the replacement of an imported 1099r w/ a hand edited one.  All amounts and acct numbers remained identical.   Happy day.

faye1doc

Your thoughts, I add 55 cents prior to your response, will this create a problem?  It accepted when I added the 55 cents

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, that will not cause a problem with the IRS.

They round all figures on the tax return and anything under $1 is "de minimis" . That means the amount is too small to merit consideration. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Replying to:

Employee Tax Expert 
3 weeks ago

"No, that will not cause a problem with the IRS.

They round all figures on the tax return and anything under $1 is "de minimis" . That means the amount is too small to merit consideration. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer""

So "Employee Expert:

Why doesn't TT just fix the problem, and why are employees supporting/recommending that customers alter/falsify (even if IRS doesn't care) their returns just to get them to E-file successfully?

IRS declared error.  Did not allow recovery rebate credit form information.  Its costing me over 1K$.  I've checked the worksheet info.  Q2 a yes skipped to Q6; probably should not.  Its confusing but I agree with IRS and will pay the difference.  Error should not have been made. I answered the questions correctly as written.  Yes we gave ss# dated prior to 2021.  Q2 and Q5 as this question and lead to making a claim that is not correct. The rebate was received but is not listed as income; both is true but the $ is not income and should not be deducted.  A deduction is only valid if NOT received.  IRS wins and filing will be corrected in spite of the error in Turbotaxe's worksheet.  

The 3rd Stimulus payment you received should be listed on line 13.  Isn't it there?  Unless you have a high income to phase out the credit, the only important lines are 8 and 13.  The Turbo Tax worksheet should match the IRS worksheet.  Did you fill out the IRS worksheet by hand to compare it to Turbo Tax?

See IRS worksheet for line 30 in 1040 instructions page 59

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

dbrown42

TTO now checks for duplicate amounts.

Had Cx add $0.01 to 2nd legitimate identical amount to clear TTO error since no way do do so otherwise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies