Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blackhawk
Returning Member

e-file to both federal and state rejected - Canadian resident

I e-filed both federal and state returns. Both were rejected. Below is the message I received:

"IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records."

However, I checked multiple times and I am 100% sure I entered the correct AGI of last year. I did not use a PIN last year. I did not use turbotax and I hired an account last year.

I live in Canada but my employment income is from Michigan.  I am a cross-border communter worker. I put Canada into "Foreign Country name" in the return.

My questions:

(1) Is there a way that I can fix something and e-file my tax?

(2) In case I cannot e-file, will I get refund from turbotax for the state tax e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

This often happens when the IRS database does not have the correct AGI for some reason. It is often because the prior year return was filed later in the year. Try entering the number 0 for the AGI and see if that will work. If it doesn't, your only option is to print and mail both of your returns. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Here are a few things that you can try to resolve the AGI issue - the data must match what is in the IRS database which, ideally, exactly matches your copy of your return but there are a few instances in which it can vary (such as corrections later made to the return, rounding issues, or errors in the IRS database.)

One option is to retrieve your IRS transcript here: IRS Transcripts to verify the number.  You can also try entering 0 which often works if the return was filed late in the tax year.  

If you continue to receive a rejection notice you will need to print and mail the returns.  You can also contact us about a refund for the e-File you were not able to use if using TurboTax desktop 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies