turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to mail any supporting statements if I see "cash app crypto - see attached statement" in "Form 8949 part II box F" in my tax return which was e-filed?

I sold crypto on the cash app and I received a 1099-B and a CSV file for it. When preparing my returns using Turbotax Premier online, I selected cash app crypto for importing this and I uploaded the CSV file as prompted. It then generated a bunch of entries for it. 

After e-filing my return, I noticed that in my return, Form 8949 part II box F there is just a single entry for cash app-related CSV and its description says "cash app crypto - see attached statement" but there is no attachment for this in the tax return. Do I need to mail any forms to IRS due to this or does TurboTax attach the required statement for cash app crypto (as I don't it in the PDF file of the tax return I downloaded)?

Turbotax did not prompt me or provide any info on whether to mail any forms when e-filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I need to mail any supporting statements if I see "cash app crypto - see attached statement" in "Form 8949 part II box F" in my tax return which was e-filed?

Does TurboTax attach the required statement for cash app crypto (as I don't it in the PDF file of tax return I downloaded)?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The attachment goes with your return to the IRS. If you were required to mail form 8453 with additional information, you would have been notified.

Your pdf that you supplied does not download as part of the tax forms TurboTax prepared.

Keep all documents in case the IRS asks. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC Thanks for your response. I did not upload any PDF file but only a CSV file for these crypto transactions (as TurboTax prompted me). Per what you are saying, would this CSV file be sent along with my return to IRS? I really don't understand why TurboTax summarized these entries in 8949 as they were just 5 transactions.

IRS requires details of your SELL transactions to be supplied on some Form 8949 (e-Filed or mailed),
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B or spreadsheet) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.

Either way, if you choose to summarize only, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return. (unless you have attached a PDF of the transactions details to your e-Filed return. TurboTax Online will ask for it).
Detail Reporting Exception: if you summarize Category A or Category D, Form 8949 is not needed for transactions without adjustments. No mailing is necessary.

There is no exception for the other Box Categories

@snrkd21 

Your e-Filed 8949 is a summary, not a list of details.

You don't mail that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies