Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

I called and they said during the pandemic no amended returns were being processed so they are really backed up.  I'm wondering how long I should wait before mailing it again 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Hi it’s been 13 weeks and mines still not showing up can you tell me how to phone the irs to see if they received it

@tinybrooks "I'm wondering how long I should wait before mailing it again"

You should not re-send an amended return. They will eventually process your amended return. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to read through this entire discussion. Probably all of your questions (except the one you really want the answer to -- when will the IRS do it?) are discussed already. Last year I filed my amended return in May. It showed up in the system in about October. I finally got the "all clear" in February of this year. The IRS has not recovered from the backlog created by COVID and by the extra work of handling all the stimulus checks. I advise patience. My son is now caught in a different IRS issue where they flagged his account for additional identity verification, but he hasn't got the right stuff (mortgage, etc.) to qualify to do it via the website, so the website says he must call, and then he's back to the calls never being answered. You aren't alone.

@Acatledge100:

As for others here, I suggest you read through this entire discussion to get answers to common questions. It's long, yes, but it has a lot of good info. The bottom line is that in a normal year it takes up to 16 weeks. Because of COVID, the processing time is *significantly* longer. For me to get an amended return processed last year took from May until February of this year. Things have not really improved. You can try to call the phone number (see the discussion above for the number -- it's in there somewhere), but your chances of getting through are not good.

So after waiting almost two years for my refund I finally get it with a $24.75 interest. That is a joke and an odd number meanwhile I too struggled through this PANDEMIC while the IRS HELD ON TO MY MONEY A DISGRACE

honestly70
Returning Member

😮. After they charge you like 24$ a day if you are late… don’t they charge like 5% penalty or something for each month up to 25%?

Not true. I owe them a big chunk and been trying to get a mortgage! They received mine through E-filing March 26th and still no updates and about to lose a house and several thousand dollars. The IRS needs to get their shyt together because this is only our lives and livelihoods they are messing with.  I understand it takes 16 weeks so I have 4 weeks left. You would think since I owed they would be on top of it. I think I will demand 16 weeks before I even make one payment. Lol

Call as soon as they open. I believe this is 6 or 7am eastern time

It’s just a school credit from my 2019 taxes I’m trying to amend. They received it December 11th, still nothing. From the wait everyone is describing I may get this a year after I sent it in. I am very worried the IRS is trying to run out the clock. What if I missed some thing and I don’t know, I need time to reply.

@Rosetylerr  Your post is a bit unclear.   Do you mean that you sent in an amended return in March of 2021 and that you OWE additional tax based on that amended return?    If so, what are you waiting for?   Did you pay the tax when you sent in the amended return?  What method of payment did you use?  Your expectation that it will only take sixteen weeks for the IRS to process your Form 1040X may be very unrealistic.   During "normal" times it takes about 16 weeks, but during the pandemic it has been taking much longer for the IRS to process amended returns.  In many cases it is taking longer than six months.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 Sorry. Yes, I sent in an amended tax return with less write offs. I am self employed. March 26, 2021. I owe additional taxes and I am waiting for my transcripts to match for the mortgage company to ok my income. When they check it, the transcripts still show my old un amended return. I signed up for a long term payment plan. Which I shouldn’t have done. I technically should pay it, and then the mortgage company can use that to compare? This is my first time buying a house and when you are self employed DO NOT write everything off. Thank you for your response 

@Rosetylerr  wrote:

Not true. I owe them a big chunk and been trying to get a mortgage! They received mine through E-filing March 26th and still no updates and about to lose a house and several thousand dollars. The IRS needs to get their shyt together because this is only our lives and livelihoods they are messing with.  I understand it takes 16 weeks so I have 4 weeks left. You would think since I owed they would be on top of it. I think I will demand 16 weeks before I even make one payment. Lol

Unfortunate amended returns usually take 16 weeks to process, the this year with COVID and stimulus payments, the IRS is so overload that amending returns are taking 6 months or longer to process.     If you amended at the end of March then it will probably be Sept or Oct. before you hear anything.

If you owed additional tax then interest started as of the due date and yiu will be billed for it - the sooner you pay, the sooner the interest will stop.

However, if you amended before your original return was  fully processed and you had two tax returns in the system at the same time then both will be red-flagged for review - that can take a year or more.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You know how you file every year I filed my 2019 me and my husband. I didn't owe them they owed me! I field and due to the mail delays I had to amend my return. I constantly checked! Constantly the IRS website had no pending or information. A few days ago I received my return. Amend returns take longer than 16 weeks considering the stimulus packages that interrupted the tax season. If you have an amend return you possibly won't see return for almost a year. This is due to the child tax credit payments! Which will put a hold on taxes! Hopefully thinks makes better sense.. GOOD LUCK ALL

why aint my amended taxes showing been since april

@michellemack wrote:

why aint my amended taxes showing been since april

The IRS will take anywhere from 4 to 6 months or longer before they start processing a federal amended tax return.

Go to this IRS website for the status of an amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies