Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

I haven’t received my refund for 2019 and my refund for a amended return of year 2018 or 2019 federal and state

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Yes I certified mailed both Federal and State back in 03/07/2020

When I call the automatic telephone says it hasn’t been received. But my certified mail shows it was sigh for.

See answer above.   You can only wait until the IRS returns to normal.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes, did it all and sent it certified mail.  Tracked it a week later and it said it had not been delivered and UPS would attempt a later delivery which finally was successful.  Apparently there was nobody there on the Friday they initially tried to deliver it.  Without a signature I guess they would not leave it.  However, it has now been 8 weeks since I have tracking proof that it was delivered...but the IRS has not cashed the check yet!  How is this possible?  And, my amended return is not showing up on their tool.  What concerns me is if whomever received my return has trashed it or lost it, unless the Covid 19 issues have held it up, but why is it not showing on their tool as received.  PS.  I never received the return receipt that I paid for when sending it.  Who can I call?  The number they show for the tool is automated and gives me no information.  Please help as this was a large payment we had to make and interest is accruing!!

They are not even opening mailed returns right now. The mail is stacking up in trailers at the IRS.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

What priority is put on amended returns for a previous year?  Ours is for 2017 and includes quite a large check for the payment we found out we owed.  The return was sent in on March 31, 2020.  I would think they should be looking at amended returns along with current returns about now...most stimulus payments have already been received.  I will keep checking the tool and try to call.  I was not able to create an account as they could not verify my phone for some weird reason.  Thanks for your input.  It really helps!

PS.  How do you and the other experts know this stuff?  Do you work as consultants for the IRS or are you in a position to communicate feedback from the IRS?  Just curious because it does help relieve some anxiety knowing we are not alone in wondering what is going on.... Thanks again.

We have collectively been in the business more than 50 years so we know how the IRS works ... and the IRS put out warnings that things will take longer due to the furloughs so we simply extrapolated timelines using known histories.   If the IRS finishes faster than predicted  be happy but be prepared to wait much much longer than normal this year.  Much of the staff has been pulled to work this "stimulus check" situation so less are available for regular work.

Priorities right now are : 

1) Stimulus checks

2) efiled 2019 returns with refunds

3) returns already filed prior to shut down already in the review process

4) new 2019 paper returns as they are opened ... priority given to returns with refunds

5) 2019 returns that have a balance due

6) all returns that need human interaction  such as paper filed returns from all tax years and amended returns  .... original  returns with refunds are given priority, then returns with balance dues and  then finally amended returns.

My daughter ended up doing the same thing.  She put that she could be claimed but she really could not and we did not claim her.  She did a amended return and mailed it April 15th from Florida and it is still not showing as received but my understanding is that once they do start opening the mail then it will take another 5 months for it to be corrected and she might get a stimulus and she might not.  This is going to be very unfair for you guys that accidentally made that mistake because if you ever get one it might be mid 2021 or you might just get put to the side and never get one.

It is right on the IRS website.  Go there and do your research.

www.IRS.gov

@legalassistmom 

You cannot blame a DIY income tax program for the user's data entry errors ... that is like blaming the pencil in your hand for writing the wrong thing.   Now that the mistake was made all you can do is follow the IRS rules on how to correct it ... the fact that it will take more time than usual due to an unforeseen pandemic is no one's fault. Patience will be needed by all parties as we strive to get back to some sort of normal.

If you want to complain to anyone try your congressperson since they are the ones who have cut the IRS budget every year for the last decade so the IRS is understaffed and under supplied. 

I mail it certified on March 12.  They receive it 1 Apr 2020 and nothing is in the system?  Help who can i talk too

@marsjackson79 wrote:

I mail it certified on March 12.  They receive it 1 Apr 2020 and nothing is in the system?  Help who can i talk too

The IRS is not processing any paper tax returns at this time.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your Economic Impact Payment. Paper returns will be processed   once processing centers are able to reopen

@marsjackson79 wrote:

And make sure that you are using this website for the status of the amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies