turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Convert TTx PDF Return to tax data file

Need 2019 “tax data files” (.tax2019), but unable to locate using Windows 10 & opening
TTx Premier 2019 WIN ESD (download)

Search yields only PDF copy of 2019 Return.

Trusting TTx’s advice that “tax data files” were automatically saved to hard drive, failed to
make additional copies.

TTx mentions possible 3rd party solution to convert TTx PDF to “tax data file.”

Grateful to receive any suggestions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

@bryancarolyncrutcher wrote:

Trusting TTx’s advice that “tax data files” were automatically saved to hard drive, failed to
make additional copies.

The tax data file (.taxYYYY) is saved to your computer but not necessarily to your primary hard drive as it depends upon how you initially saved the file. 

Therefore, in addition to your hard drive, you might want to search any external storage devices (e.g., a USB flash drive) you had attached (or might have had attached) during the process of preparing your 2019 return.

No you can not convert a pdf to .tax2019.  There are other websites that can covert a .TAX file to a pdf, not the other way around.  

If you used the Windows Desktop program you need the file ending in .taxyyyy to open in it. The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder. If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2020 or .tax2019, etc. And check the Recycle Bin. For Windows 10 check the One Drive. Did you make any backups? Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like "~your name.tax2019". That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

When you close the program you are always prompted to save the .taxfile and you can give the file a different name if you like so you don't overwrite the last one.  For instance you may want to periodically save your work as you complete certain stages like "after sch C"  so if you continue later and accidentally delete the sch C or corrupt it  you can restore to a previous point in time.  And always save the PDF & .taxfile to a separate storage medium incase your hard drive crashes.

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

Thank you. Followed your helpful guidance & searched for .tax2019 in external hard drive used as intermediary "storage area" by BB Greek Squad in transferring files
from failed ASUS Laptop to Lenovo Laptop (12/19), &
from failed Lenovo Laptop to new HP Laptop (4/21). 
As disk storage capacity of both Lenovo & HP was too small to accept all files saved on external hard drive, Geek Squad left large number of files in external hard drive. Searched these & found only PDF Tax Return, no “tax data files.”  Still searching. Thank you.

Thank you for your helpful guidance.

Had read 3rd sentence @ https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/can-i-convert-my-pdf-into-a-tax-data-file-or-vi...
to mean that I "could" find conversion program Online, rather than "might" find such.

Searched for .tax2019 & ~myname.tax2019 in external hard drive used as intermediary "storage area" by BB Greek Squad in transferring files
from failed ASUS Laptop to Lenovo Laptop (12/19), &
from failed Lenovo Laptop to new HP Laptop (4/21). 
As disk storage capacity of both Lenovo & HP was too small to accept all files saved on external hard drive, Geek Squad left large number of files in external hard drive. Searched these & found only PDF Tax Return, no tax data files.”  Still searching. Thank you.

@bryancarolyncrutcher wrote:

Had read 3rd sentence @ https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/can-i-convert-my-pdf-into-a-tax-data-file-or-vi...
to mean that I "could" find conversion program Online, rather than "might" find such.

There was one such service that, basically, offered conversion from a PDF to the TXF format. 

Having just recently checked their site, it appears as if the TXF format is no longer being offered (which could very well be an indication that the conversion process either did not function properly or did not provide any more information than a PDF). 

I am not aware of any service that offers conversion from a PDF to a TurboTax tax data file (i.e., .taxYYYY), but I will notify the moderators of the statement to that effect in the TurboTax Help article.

Using the info from the PDF you can either enter what is needed to be transferred to  the 2020 return   OR   recreate the 2019 return so you can transfer all the info.  

Thank you for your helpful guidance.

Regret that the 2019 "horse has left the stable," as evidently I failed to follow your instructions, which I shall faithfully do when completing my 2021. 
This, so as to avert my current nightmare of locating my digital 2019 "tax data files."  

Thank you. Very helpful guidance.

Created a new 2020 return using  TTx Premier & successfully "imported/transferred" Pension/Retirement income information from 2019 return.
Such is a "gross/total" figure.

This is helpful, yet remain hopeful of finding method to "drill down" to each individual entry that is tabulated in the "gross/total" figure. 

Thank you, and my very best regards.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies