Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WindyCityME
Returning Member

Can you file an amended return while your refund status at the IRS is still processing your return?

Since I filed my tax return back in the beginning of March 2021, my refund status on IRS.gov has been "still processing your return" was wondering what is taking so long.  Weird thing I noticed this morning, I wanted to get some help on some questions about my refund status thinking TurboTax could help (TurboTax Desktop for Windows) so I opened up the program and it updated.  I opened up my 2020 tax return file and saw that my refund was approx. $4000 higher than when I e-filed my tax return on 3/6/21.  Thought that was really strange.  Due to the Covid thing our tax return had income from several sources, W-2, unemployment and Schedule C (started doing independent consulting type work).  I know that it was mentioned that Unemployment taxation may have changed in one of the Covid stimulus bills, after I filed, so I am wondering is this why my refund is taking so long, is the IRS amending my tax return or is it something different.  So I am wondering do I wait and see what happens or do I start the Amend a Tax return process now in TurboTax after what I have seen now on the TurboTax program?  Any suggestions anyone.  I will also have to amend my State Tax return as well since that refund also went up significantly.  Can't do that until I know what is happening to my Federal return.  This can bring in over an additional $5K in refunds now based on what I see in the TurboTax program.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can you file an amended return while your refund status at the IRS is still processing your return?

Wait until it has been fully processed and you receive your refund.

Do not rush to amend - no hurry. You have 3 years to amend and amended returns are taking 4-6 months or longer to be processed so waiting a few weeks will make little difference and amending too soon might just compound the problem. (If you amend today you probably will not see the results until August or September).

-- You should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You should not amend a tax return until you have received the federal tax refund or any taxes owed and paid have been processed by the IRS.

You do not amend your federal tax return for the unemployment compensation exclusion.  The IRS is processing tax returns which have unemployment compensation entered on the filed 2020 tax return.  The IRS has started sending tax refunds based on the exclusion during the month of May.

Go to this IRS website for information on the exclusion and refunds - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

@WindyCityME 

If you did not get your refund already, it is most likely IRS will adjust your refund up. This is happening now.

It is unlikely to get $4,000 more out of this  alone.

What else is different on your tax return since you filed it?

You must have kept a paper copy of your filed return for your records to answer this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies