turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you explain why in a Desktop software online filing, $65 was deducted from a refund because "you chose to have your TT fees deducted from your refund."

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you explain why in a Desktop software online filing, $65 was deducted from a refund because "you chose to have your TT fees deducted from your refund."

The Refund Processing Service is an option for paying your TurboTax fee by deducting it from your federal tax refund. It's a convenient way to pay for TurboTax if you don't have (or don't want to use) your credit or debit card. For more information please click the link below.

What is Refund Processing Service? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate your reply. 

I still don't understand why any additional fee is charged if one purchases the filing software.  The return was my low income childs; $65 is a rather steep fee for any lower income wage earner, especially one using purchased software.  

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below on how to review your fees, if you have not filed yet. If you have already filed, wait until your return has been "Accepted" by the IRS before going back into your return. If you need to go back in after filing, you will need to click "Add a State" to get you back in.

How do I review my fees in TurboTax Online?

If you need further assistance and would like to contact customer service, start by clicking on Contact Us Answering the questions will help to ensure that your call is properly routed.

ojsopranos
Returning Member

Charged $65 on my IRS refund.  Why?  I paid my TurboTax on 11/4/20 in the amount of $74.38.  This is the first time in many years of using TurboTax.  Jim

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please clarify, was your tax refund lower than expected, or were you charged twice for your TurboTax fees?

@ojsopranos

ojsopranos
Returning Member

My refund was $65 lower.  Paid TurboTax last November 4 $74.38;

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@ojsopranos, if your IRS-issued tax refund comes in around $35 or $40 less than the amount shown in TurboTax, it's probably because you used the Refund Processing Service option to deduct your Turbo Tax fees from your federal tax refund. There may also be other things that could happen to offset or reduce your refund. For more information and further assistance with this issue, please see the FAQ link provided below:

Reduced Refund

ojsopranos
Returning Member

I did  not make such a selection.  I paid TurboTax in November.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for the clarification. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance with any applicable refund you may have due:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@ojsopranos

Manage cookies