Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can't eFile 2019 amended tax return (1040x)

When I printed Amended 2019 1040SR return from TurboTax to mail,  it is just on an updated form 1040-SR - not an amended form.  Is this correct??  Shouldn't it print 1040-SRX? 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Lanae2 

No, that's not correct. There should be a Form 1040-X. (There is no 1040-SRX. All amended returns are on Form 1040-X.) Carefully follow the instructions in the FAQ at the link below, and read all the screens carefully.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

The title of the FAQ says "TurboTax Online" but it also has instructions for the CD/Download software.

If you are using TurboTax Online and you made changes without creating a 1040-X, then before you start following the instructions in the FAQ you will have to undo the changes that you made and get your tax return back to the way it was when you originally filed.

If you are using the CD/Download TurboTax software, start over with a clean copy of the tax return that you originally filed. Hopefully you saved a copy of the original return before you started amending.

I downloaded the Mar 25th update and it seems that they now allow efiling an amended return. I did not actually try it because I mailed mine in last week, but I no longer get the prior error. If I had known, I would have waited to today to efile the amended return. 

I use TT Online, and despite the IRS saying e-filing is available for 1040-X, for tax year 2019, TT has still not enabled this. My accountant has warned me not to mail my 1040-X due to absurdly long turnaround times. Does anyone have insight into the wait for processing?

I also agree with previous posters saying a TurboTax employee who actually knows what's going on (PRODUCT MANAGERS, I'm looking at you) should offer advice at this point.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@wearigo  Here's an official statement from TurboTax. At the bottom of the FAQ at the link below it says "Note: E-filing 2019 amended returns is not supported at this time."

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

I get it, you can't use TT to e-file a 2019 1040x. The question I can't get an answer to is WHY?? If the IRS is now allowing it (and insisting by the way that all the "major" tax preparing softwares are on board), then why is TT making no effort to allow us to do this?

mbtt
Level 1

TurboTax failing to e-file Amended 1040X is a terrible TurboTax decision. The window to submit was too short. Supposedly it closes in October 2020 with the end of extension filings. This is unacceptable.

If TurboTax wants my return business, they need to support me for the duration of e-Filing an Amended 1040X return. e.g. 3 years, or as long as the IRS keeps accepting Amended e-Filing submissions for a given year. At a minimum means covering 2019 amended returns through October 2021, to cover those of us with changes that arrive outside the extension filing timeframe.

MiMush

Has this been sorted out yet?  IRS told me to efile a 1040x for 2019 asap. Efiled original with another IRS free file for 2019.  That company is no longer affiliated with IRS free file, and does not provide 1040x efile even with purchase of product.  Filed 2020 with TurboTax.  Can not seem to find out how to do this 1040x for 2019 efile.  And, if TurboTax offers a purchase of the software needed to amend 2019, which product is it?  I am hoping that by this date, TurboTax has a solution??  Help!!!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@MiMush

As stated above, TurboTax does not support e-filing of an amended return (Form 1040-X) for 2019.

You could buy the TurboTax CD/Download software for 2019 and use it to prepare the 1040-X, but you will not be able to e-file it. You can purchase a download at the link below. If you do this, you will first have to recreate your original 2019 tax return in TurboTax, making sure that it exactly matches the tax return that you filed. You would then be able to prepare an amendment of the recreated return.

Past Years' Products

But again, my question is WHY? The IRS is telling people that this is now available through ALL the major tax preparation software products. So why is TT choosing not to take part?

Alright, so I just tried to amend my 2019 return in TT Deluxe (download).  First time ever, and it really isn't super intuitive.

I get to the end and the 1040-X looks ok, but I will spend more time understanding it.

But then when I go to see if I could efile, I get the "E-filing is Closed for the Season, you can file by mail" message.  Grrr.  Google takes me to this thread.

But here's where it gets weird: If I click the Continue button on that page with the error message, I get a choice to "e-file (recommended)" or "File by Mail".  I chose eFile (just to see what happens) and the next screen has this choice:

- E-file my federal amended return now

- Do not e-file my federal amended return now, I'll do it later.

I am not ready yet (need to review the 1040X), but I wonder if it will error out if I choose efile at this point. 

Or perhaps it will mangle my data, transmit garbage to the IRS and then format my hard disk to erase all evidence.  😕

It might be safer at this point, given that Intuit doesn't seem to know whether efiling works or not, to mail the return.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

E-filing of any 2019 tax return using TurboTax closed in October 2020.

A 2019 tax return, including 2019 amended tax returns, cannot be e-filed using TurboTax, they can only be printed and mailed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Seems like the TT 2019 software is confused about that (see details above).

And of course the real question that doesn’t seem to get addressed here is: if the IRS allows it, why doesn’t Intuit?

I have used TT for more than a dozen years.  The reason I need to file an amended return is a bug in TT.  And I just refiled (on paper) ten years of 8606 forms because of a bug in TT 2009.    I think next year I will look at alternative software or just learn how to do it by hand.  The “tool” I am paying for is really not saving me any time now that I have to fix its mistakes (that I didn’t find originally because I wasn’t familiar enough with the tax code and trusted it).

Another "expert" who can cut and paste but did so without reading. The question is, WHY won't Intuit allow efiling if the IRS does?

Why is Intuit not allowing it ???   They are not saying at this time but few DIY programs are allowing efiling of amended returns at this point in time probably due to the extra cost and/or  manpower involved especially since they don't charge for the amendment program/option.  

My Professional program allows me to efile for the last 3 tax years (18-20) and efile an amended return for 2019 & 2020. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies