turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I start over in TurboTax if I have not mailed or submitted my return yet (I do not have a Tax Tools or menu listing) on the left side of the screen?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Can I start over in TurboTax if I have not mailed or submitted my return yet (I do not have a Tax Tools or menu listing) on the left side of the screen?

You can use the "Clear and Start Over" only if you haven't yet "registered" your Free Edition or made payment for a paid edition.   Have you done either of those things?  I'll share the FAQ for using the feature in the link below.

How do I clear and start over in TurboTax Online? 

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Hi - I am concerned that I have "registered", because this is my 7th year submitting taxes on behalf of my father with TurboTax. This year has been different because I typically e-file, but this year, I have to mail the return because my father died this year.  As I progressed through the filing late last night, I think I was a little distracted and thought I could go back and check something (SSA contributions), and that it would not file the return, but the status of the return for 2019 says "filed". I'm not sure how this is possible if I have to mail it along with a Form 1310 this year. Not sure what I need to do as I have to make a correction. 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@dluinstra So sorry about your father's passing.  Please accept my condolences.

Unless you went completely through the TT interview and clicked on "Transmit Return Now", your return shouldn't be filed.  If you would, please check your e-file status by following the instructions below.  If you haven't yet filed (even if you've printed for mailing, but haven't yet mailed the return), you can make corrections.

How do I check my e-file status? 

Let me know what you find, please.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Hi Kat, 

Thank you. Below is the status of my Dad's return:

"Filed Federal Tax Return
Filed with: TurboTax Free Edition
Federal Refund: $XXX 
Return Status: Printed"

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@dluinstra If you follow the instructions I'm linking below, you can re-open your return to make changes to your Father's return.

How can I access my return after I've e-filed or printed? 

Please post back if you have further difficulty.

This solution worked! Thank you so much!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies