Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrsbbm611

Can i get my w-2 information for past years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I NEED A COPY OF MY W-2

TurboTax does not have a copy of your W-2—the Wage & Tax Statement—issued to you by your employer, (nor does TurboTax have copies of your 1099’s).   You should always save those documents for your own records. You could ask the employer(s) for copies or you can get a copy from Social Security (for a fee of $86).

If you saved a pdf of your completed tax return, the worksheets will show the W-2 information you entered, but not the actual W-2.

To get a copy of a W-2 from Social Security https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

You can get a wage and income transcript from the IRS:  It will not show the actual W-2, 1099’s, etc, but will show the income information the IRS received.  It will not, however, show your state information. It will only show the federal information.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2561916-how-can-i-get-a-copy-of-my-w-2

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Linda birgel
Returning Member

I filed my sons taxes, but I did not notice until filed that it said 2018 on the form.  He had already filed his taxes last year.  Why did you send me the wrong form - and How does this get corrected.  I redid his taxes for 2018 and they rejected them.  Please let me know asap what should be done.  His name is David Birgel and he is disabled.  I send his Michigan by mail as he was only getting $9 back.   HELP!  I have used your service for over 8 years and this is the first problem I have had.

Linda Birgel

[email address removed]

[phone number removed]

It is difficult to tell what you did.  No one "sent" you tax forms.  The online software is ONLY for a 2018 tax return.  If you used the current online software for income for a different year, then you made a big mistake.  It sounds like maybe you are just confused.  If your son filed a tax return "last year" that would have been a 2017 tax return--that would be filed in 2018.  The current tax returns being filed are for 2018--the tax year that ended on December 31, 2018.  NEXT year in 2020 you will be filing a 2019 tax return.

Are you just confused about what tax year you filed, or did you enter the wrong information onto those 2018 forms that you tried to file?  Was the federal return you prepared rejected?  If so, then the state return was not e-filed, either.

Check your e-file status:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Linda birgel 

You are confusing things/years........It says 2018 on the forms....because that is what year is still being filed now thru mid-Oct of 2019.

....2018 taxes are filed in 2019.......the forms are supposed to say 2018 now because that is the year that is being filed.  All income and Deductions&Credits that happened 1 Jan 2018  up thru 31 Dec of 2018 are done on  2018 tax forms, usually during 2019, and that is the software that is being provided right now thru mid-October. of 2019

If he filed something last year during 2018,  he could only have filed his 2017 taxes last year, and those forms would have 2017 on them.

So if you e-filed his 2018 tax return earlier this year (sometime in Jan-to-now of 2019), and you used his 2018 forms and data, then that is the correct 2018 one.  Attempting to redo  anything would of course be rejected in an e-file, because it can only be accepted once...and once accepted, nothing else can be e-filed.  Onlyu Amended tax returns can be done and "mailed" in by you after that.

Redo- and mail....DON'T...unless you are still confused as to what is a 2018 tax return, and what is a 2019 tax return..... At this point, we can have no idea what you've actually done.....unless you can explain it a bit better.

Some "Preliminary" 2019 tax forms will not come out until Nov-December of 2019...but won't be fully ready for filing until sometime in the coming Feb of 2020 and no 2019 tax returns can be filed until well into 2020.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies