turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change my TurboTax file so it knows I did not mail in the earlier version I printed? (I want to e-file, and it won't be an amended return!)

I printed my federal return in February, but did not mail it in. I now need to change a few details before I file--but I want to e-file, and since I did not mail in the original version, I should be able to! But TurboTax thinks I did mail it in (since I printed it). How can I "retract" having printed it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I change my TurboTax file so it knows I did not mail in the earlier version I printed? (I want to e-file, and it won't be an amended return!)

If you haven't efiled or mailed your return you can go back in and change anything you want.  Do not click on Amend!

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

1. From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.
  2. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

Then when you are ready to file you can try to switch to efile.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...

Thank you! But that only works if I am not changing anything in my return before I file--at this point, TurboTax thinks any change I make is "amending" the return, and it currently won't let me do that. What I need to know is if there's a way to "undo" the earlier printing, so I can add a few things before I e-file; is that possible?

@douglaswolkitt wrote:

Thank you! But that only works if I am not changing anything in my return before I file--at this point, TurboTax thinks any change I make is "amending" the return, and it currently won't let me do that. What I need to know is if there's a way to "undo" the earlier printing, so I can add a few things before I e-file; is that possible?

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return so you can make any changes needed before filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies