turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erovwo

Can I amend my tax return with turbo tax even if I did not file my taxes with turbo tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I amend my tax return with turbo tax even if I did not file my taxes with turbo tax

Yes, but you would have to recreate your return in TurboTax so that it is identical to your original return. Then don’t file it. Just tell TurboTax you are going to print and mail it. Of course you don’t mail it. Then you can amend your return in TurboTax and mail it. Amended returns can take 6-9 months to process. 

CAN I USE TURBOTAX TO AMEND IF THE RETURN WAS PREPARED SOMEWHERE ELSE?

If you did not use TurboTax to prepare your tax return, it is possible to amend the return using TurboTax but it will really be a pain.  It would be better to use the software or service used to file originally.  If a paid preparer made a mistake on your tax return, that tax preparer should do the amended return for you at no charge.

In order to use TurboTax to amend your return, you need to purchase the desktop software for the tax year and re-create the return EXACTLY as it appeared when it was filed with the IRS/states.  Every line has to be the same.  Then you have to "trick" the software into thinking you filed by saying you will mail the return. (but do not mail it)   AFTER that, you use the software to prepare a Form 1040X, which has to be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.  It takes the IRS about 3-4 months to process an amended return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@erovwo 

Here's another way.

You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update (or a transcript).

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form 1040-X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
Refer to the Instructions for what is to be attached to Form 1040-X.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.
Mail to the address shown in the Instructions.
Note: There are other tax prep sites on the internet that will do your return again (federal) for no charge.

Yes, but you will have re-enter the whole return and pay the current fee.

You can only efile the Amended 1040X return from the same account you efiled the original return.  If you didn't use Turbo Tax you will have to print and mail the amended return.

Ideally you should go back to who did it and they should amend it for free if it was their error.  To amend a return you did somewhere else or you don't have the original.tax file,  you would first have to fill out Turbo Tax like you are doing the original return and pay for it.  You have to recreate the actual wrong original return.  Then when it matches each line that you really filed you have to tell Turbo Tax you will mail it so it thinks it was filed.  Then you can amend it.

For the current year you can use the online version by first recreating the original return exactly as filed.  Then pay the fees and say to mail it and print it out so it think you filed it.  Then when it matches every line you can amend.  How to amend an Online return

How to amend (change or correct) a return you've already filed

Or you can buy the Desktop CD/Download program here, https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

You will have to print and mail the amended return.  You can only efile it from the same account the original was Accepted.

Manage cookies