Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

@Candy Ricker wrote:

My sister received her amended return about 2 weeks ago and they sent it direct deposit. 

IRS federal amended tax return FAQ's website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

Is direct deposit available for electronically filed Form 1040-X?

Direct deposits are not allowed at this time for Amended Returns.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

That might be what that website says but that isnt what happened to her and even the letter that got sent even said "we have send your amended return refund to your direct deposit that's on file if this is not correct please let us know".

@Candy Ricker Okay---so you think your sister received a direct deposit for an amended return.   We are glad she received her refund.  From now on when we give information to users  in this forum---would you recommend that we use what the IRS says or what you think happened with your sister?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes absolutely 

This is also Candy Ricker I didnt realize there were 3 different accounts.

I think some states will refund you with direct deposit.  but IRS will not.

I don’t know what you are talking about. TurboTax filed my 1040X and it went through fine. The IRS has received it as well as I can see it’s process on the “Where’s my amended return” tool.

angelawoodruff
Returning Member

I sent my amended taxes in on March 13 2021 my name is Angela spraggins I really need this money for Christmas I gotten 3 months of child taxes credits but they have stopped them because of my amend taxes so now I am not getting any money on the 15th of every month I pray that they get this taken care of before Christmas because I was unemployed with two grandkids I really need that money thanks

@angelawoodruff When you have an amended return pending in the system it stops those monthly child tax credit checks---so sorry.   And.....it is taking the IRS six months or more to process amended returns, so do not count on quick results from amending your tax return. 

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you get child tax credit. 

ghquzem

It’s been 7 months since the IRS has had my 2019 and 2020 amended tax return. All it says we received it but haven’t processed it. I am unable to close escrow because of the IRS I’m in so much distress in so much emotional pain. Congress is unable to help TAS is unable to get it processed it’s just so sad.

I am sorry you are going through this. I’m in a similar situation.  I filed my amended return in May and it still hasn’t been processed. It’s causing a lot of financial hardship. I called the number they provided to me and they told me that since it’s been past the 20 week mark, they will send a note to the person who was assigned to my return that the  need to process the return in 30 days. It’s been 30 days and it’s still not processed. TAS has stopped taking amended return cases. It seems like I’ll never get my refund. 

Did you ever get yours, I’m still waiting on my amended return and it was just a number in my address and it’s been 8 months now 

That’s ridiculous I saw that my address was wrong tried to fix right after they had been sent and now I have talked to 3 different IRS associates and they say it’s fixed and someone has mine in there work but nothing ever changes when I look and I really needed the Child Tax Credit and now I don’t have tax check and the child tax credit money just sucks for something so small

ghquzem

Unfortunately not yet, its very very frustrating. I am not even due a refund. I owed the IRS over  $8K they cashed the check the first week they received in May, get that! I was unable to close escrow because I didn't have a updated transcript, its causing so much stress for me and my family. I've contacted congress and tax advocate services explaining the situation but they can't do anything to expedite. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies