Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Yeah, mine showed up on the system as “accepted” March 26, 2021. But not processed yet. 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Every time I talk to them they say don't send it again. There are people who have been waiting 15 months and I think that's crazy. How do you know they even have it or that it wasn't thrown away? I'd like to know when it is suggested that it be sent in again did that it be sent in again.

If you did not use a mailing service with tracking that confirmed for you  that the envelope got there then you do not know if your envelope is in a pile somewhere----until something shows up in the system.

If you are wondering if you should send your return again——the IRS does not want you to file a second time.   Putting two tax returns into the system at the same time can lead to confusion and even more delays.   If you did not use tracking and do not know if the return was received—-you have to make your own judgement call and decide if you want to risk further delay by sending the return again.  That is up to you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cleve60
Returning Member

Never resend the return unless requested by the IRS.  What happens if you send duplicate return it appears as though someone is using your information to gain access to your account.  It then gets turned over to Identity Theft and slows down the actual processing of your return. 

Anders97

My says received April 14th besides that. I’m still wait for any more notifications it’s almost been 3 months and nothing of my refund besides that!

It’s been 16 weeks since I faxed my amended return and it still has not shown up on the “where is my amended” tax return tool through the IRS. 
we still cannot call can we? I assume there is a major back log but I have no way of knowing if they even have it! 
many advice? 

@Nec  wrote:

It’s been 16 weeks since I faxed my amended return and it still has not shown up on the “where is my amended” tax return tool through the IRS. 
we still cannot call can we? I assume there is a major back log but I have no way of knowing if they even have it! 
many advice? 

If you faxed an amended return based on a letter you received from the IRS, then when the return was faxed you would have received a notification that it was received if the fax was successful.

Amended tax returns normally are processed within 4 months.  However, due to the huge backlog of amended returns it may take 6 months or longer to process the tax return.

As stated on the IRS website for the status of an amended return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

If you do decide to call the IRS -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

WELL THERE ARE 11 STATES THAT OPED OUT OF THE 10,200 ON UNEMPLOYMENT SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE IF YOUR STATE IS NOT LETTING YOU NOT CLAIM IT..GEORGIA IS NOT AND I THINK ITS BULL BUT HEY WHAT CAN YOU DO 

WELL THERE ARE 11 STATES THAT OPED OUT OF THE 10,200 ON UNEMPLOYMENT SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE IF YOUR STATE IS NOT LETTING YOU NOT CLAIM IT..GEORGIA IS NOT AND I THINK ITS BULL BUT HEY WHAT CAN YOU DO 

there is the ballot box. since the decision is totally in the hands of the state's governor and congress, look up who they are and see what their position was. 

I've called 3 times for that very reason.  They say they can't see it but don't want me to send it again. Someone told me they have been waiting for more than 15 months! It's ridiculous! They should hire an agency to help with the backlog. 

JSCB
Returning Member

Mailed amended return on. 21 March 2021.  Receipt indicates they received on. April 2.  Checked daily commencing 1 May.  no record.  In June called IRS told me to wait 16 weeks.  Tried calling in June and July, never able to connect to human.  this am on line check revealed that it was received in 2 April …. Gave another number to call …. Numerous attempts to IRS … no humans available …. Have to wait another 16 weeks to process??

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You have to call at 7Am on the dot to connect to someone. 7:05 is too late. LOL

Deakon922

Did you ever receive it? It's been almost 4 for mines and still nothing Smh

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies