turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return. But these are not normal times. They didn't start opening the mail until June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  The IRS says.."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it." So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they open your return, After 3 weeks you can track it here,

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Feel free to picket the IRS building. Your mail-in amended return was tossed into the back of the last shipping container external to the IRS building. IRS has not been at full capacity due to a little something called a pandemic. They have been including interest due to the delay.

Imminent_MrSmith
Returning Member

Volvogirl, if I come back here next Sept. (8 months from now) and the IRS still has not processed my mailed Return into their system, are you going to again repost that response?

honestly70
Returning Member

I sent mine in August via certified letter, too, with no activity in system yet.  I do remember reading someone's posts, not sure if it was this forum or another, where they sent in their amended return in a april/may time frame with no sign of it in the system and then receiving their refund sometime in Oct/Nov.   Maybe they are still processing the backlog of returns but once they get to it, it will go a little more quickly or they just not keeping up with the system as well as they should be.  

Hopefully people will keep posting on when they  get their refunds to give us an idea of what time frames we are looking at.

I been trying to talk to someone about my amendable return from 2018. I was told it was complete but I never received my return and I haven’t been able to talk to the person over my case or anyone at all. 

@Maleigha90 wrote:

I been trying to talk to someone about my amendable return from 2018. I was told it was complete but I never received my return and I haven’t been able to talk to the person over my case or anyone at all. 

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

@Maleigha90   when did you print and mail your 2018 amended return?  

IRS site says they RECEIVED my 2019 amended return on March 3rd, 2020... RECEIVED but not proccessed.

I still haven't gotten anything.  I also haven't been able to talk to a real person in over a month.  keeps saying due to high call volume call later or next business day... every time.  the fact that others didn't submit until April or may and they already received their checks is a little aggravating.

at this point it's going to be next tax season already.  can i just use what they're going to owe me as a tax credit on the upcoming 2020 taxes?

@aronnov wrote:

IRS site says they RECEIVED my 2019 amended return on March 3rd, 2020... RECEIVED.

I still haven't gotten anything.  I also haven't been able to talk to a real person in over a month.  keeps saying due to high call volume call later or next business day... every time.

at this point it's going to be next tax season already.  can i just use what they're going to owe me as a tax credit on the upcoming 2020 taxes?

A federal tax refund is not entered on a federal tax return, so no you cannot enter any amount from the amended return on the 2020 tax return.

The IRS is processing millions of paper tax returns in the order they were received.  Due to the pandemic and limited staffing the IRS is taking months longer then normal to process these tax returns.

Go to this IRS website for the status of a federal amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Coco44

I printed signed and mailed my amended tax return back in June of 2020. I sent it certified return receipt and received the confirmation of receipt. It said it was received at the end of June. I called the IRS in November and finally got a someone on the phone that said they didn't have a record of my return, but if it is in the processing center, there wouldn't be a record on the IRS website until it is processed. She also said that only 2 of their 5 processing centers are open due to COVID. Obviously this is a LONG time to wait and I am concerned that my return fell behind someone's desk. The IRS website says not to call or refile. There is no accountability. Now I am filing my 2020 tax return and don't know if this amended return that is in the ether will somehow impact my current filing. HELP!

LiaVP

What number did you call, please? I have mailed mine in March and the "where's my amended return" link shows as unavailable, as if they never even received it. I need to know if they at least received it!

see my 2 messages below

Call if not find status after 3 weeks after filing:  8 6 6 -4 6 4 -2 0 5 0+1

IF NO STATUS AFTER 3 WEEKS CALL
IRS:  8 0 0 -8 2 9- 1 0 4 0 +1+1+2 for amended  7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

The number on my latest response from where's my amended tax return:

Please call 8 0 0 - 8 2 9 - 0 5 8 2 , ext 6 2 3

7-13-2020 I printed mine and mailed it myself.  I owed money so I included a check.

10-7-2020 I was on hold for 40 min they lady told me they are backed up and could take til Dec

10-16-2020 My check cleared

12-31-2020 Still saying no record of my amended return

TODAY 1-24-2021 My status now reads
"Your amended return was received on July 21, 2020.
However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please call 8 0 0 - 8 2 9 - 0 5 8 2 , ext 6 2 3, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return.

p.s. i found out they received mine because my check finally cleared my bank.   If you did not owe $ and therefore didn't mail in a check then call the number 8 0 0 - 8 2 9 - 0 5 8 2 ext 6 2 3

NOTE: MY STATUS DIDN'T SAY RECEIVED UNTIL 5 MONTHS LATER SO DO NOT WORRY IF IT'S ONLY BEEN A COUPLE OF MONTHS JUST CALL THEM.

They still owe me about $400.  they received it almost a year ago now.. I didn't send it in march.. they verified they received it in march and still nothing.   Haven't been able to talk to a real person in about 4 months.   how much interest are they paying?  maybe at this point I'm better of just accumulating some free interest.

"Your amended return was received on March 03, 2020. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies