turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lancechmp
Returning Member

Bank Draft

I set my tax owed to be drafted from my bank account on April 1st.  Today, is April 4th and the draft has still not happened.  I have checked and re-checked the bank routing number and account number for accuracy and they are correct.  In the past, the draft has always taken place the day I selected.  Is there an issue?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Bank Draft

Was this for your state or federal return? Unfortunately, we cannot check on the status of the payment because the payments are processed by either the IRS or your states' Department of Revenue. You will need to contact the corresponding agency to check on the status of the payment. Currently, the IRS phone systems are down. If you would like to contact your states' Department of Revenue, please click here for a list of states and their respective contact information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lancechmp
Returning Member

Bank Draft

Thanks for the response.  This is about my Federal return.  So far, the money still hasn't been taken out of my bank account (today is 4/7) and I had set it up to be taken out 4/1.  So it sounds like it is the IRS who actually initiates the process for the transaction to occur and not Turbotax?

I guess I will have to call the IRS to see why my bank account has not been drafted for my payment but as you say, the phone lines are down.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Bank Draft

Yes, I'm sorry, as BrandiLO stated above, only the IRS would be able to answer that. 

During non-peak times, funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted (received) by the IRS.

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:

When will my tax payment go through?

Bank Draft

Hmmm...this wasn't the way it happened last year. We noticed two identical payments scheduled by our bank to be drafted out on tax due day. They were large payments. Through a direct relationship with a bank officer we were able to cancel the redundant payment after the grace period. It would not have been fun trying to get 5 figures back from the IRS due to a TT error. Bank officer said this had happened to other people, not just us. 

Of course, I am here because we are having the same problem as the original questioner. Our payment was scheduled to be drafted out today - no sign as of yet. I could not find any reference to this question within the TT help center so I did an external search. This popped right up. 

So my question - have you changed your methodology since last year? Something doesn't smell right. If we owe additional money because payment didn't get drafted as expected I'll be sure to let Costco know. They don't like selling defective products. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Bank Draft

TurboTax does not process your tax payment, the IRS does. Funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you select if your tax return has been accepted. However, during the busier season, there can be delays especially as we near the filing deadline.  If you still don't see the debit in your bank account within 7–10 days please call the IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 to check on the status of the payment. 

@NOLA5678 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies