Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

Here's my timeline

April 7: W7 Delivered (We sent with the original passport)

July 7: Received a letter asking for the original passport

July 9: Reply the letter requesting for a search of the passport

August 16: Passport returned

August 19: ITIN issued

Now waiting for Tax refund. Show no record in the status.

shamwari2
Returning Member

Update: 

1. Applied & Delivered - February 8, 2021

2. Request for Evidence - April 15 - We need the actual passport

3. Passport Delivered - April 30th

4. ITIN Application REJECTED - You did not send us Passport by May 27 deadline - June 17

5. Spoke to IRS agent about my case - June 21

6. ITIN issued - July 2nd

7. Passport Returned/Delivered back to me - July 15, 2021

8. Tax Refund - Approved 08/28

9. Refund Deposited to my Bank Date: 09/01

10: 2019 Amended Return - No news! 

This is the longest I have had to wait for a refund. The waiting is brutal. Good luck everyone. 

Expect the amended return to take six months or more to process after the item was issued.

Update:

May 15 - W7 package sent

June 1 - package received by IRS

Aug 23 - called IRS, spoke to agent, the documents have not been processed yet. Asked not to contact for the next 11 weeks, cited backlog. Contact only after 11 weeks following the phone call.

Sept 28 - W7 rejected, rejected because tax return did not include names of dependents for whom exemptions and ITIN are requested. Asked to submit new W7, include passports, and an amended tax return (letter dated Sept 24)

Sept 30 - passports returned 

Oct. 2 - Tax accountant spoke to IRS, IRS asked to resubmit fed tax return and a new W7 form  

@sspacecadett 

So after all that time the W-7 processing center rejected the request  for ITIN and sent the passports back so you can start the process all over again.   Nothing more you can do but follow their instructions since you didn't include the people looking for the ITINs on the original return.   Do not send an amended return ... it must be a signed original 1040. 

thank you. 

So I spoke to the IRS agent and she said the mistake was that I checked off child benefit allowance, for which an ITIN holder is not eligible. I could only claim "other dependents" allowance. So they told me to recheck the boxes, adjust a refund and then resubmit all the documents. 

Update my timeline, finally get my return approved.

April 7: W7 Delivered (We sent with the original passport)

July 7: Received a letter asking for the original passport

July 9: Reply the letter requesting for a search of the passport

August 16: Passport returned

August 19: ITIN issued

November 23: Tax Return approved.

08/23/2021: Submitted the forms

11/29/2021: Received ITIN

12/04/2021: Received passport back

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Because of IRS backlogs, most who have applied for/renewed ITINs have taken 3 months or so.  So what @marinytodorov experienced is pretty normal this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not resident and file direct deposit in a joint checking account I have with my sister Once I get my Identification number do I have to provided this number right away to the bank to get the refund?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your bank will probably want the ITIN number that is issued, because if they have anything to report to you, they will list your ITIN on the reporting document.  But check with your bank on their specific requirements. 

@Nevada37

Update:

May 15 - W7 package sent

June 1 - package received by IRS

Aug 23 - called IRS, spoke to agent, the documents have not been processed yet. Asked not to contact for the next 11 weeks, cited backlog. Contact only after 11 weeks following the phone call.

Sept 28 - W7 rejected, rejected because tax return did not include names of dependents for whom exemptions and ITIN are requested. Asked to submit new W7, include passports, and an amended tax return (letter dated Sept 24)

Sept 30 - passports returned 

Oct. 2 - Tax accountant spoke to IRS, IRS asked to resubmit fed tax return and a new W7 form  

Oct. 15- resent new W7 forms, passports, an amended fed tax return 

Dec 7 - called IRS, asked about status, was told W7 not processed and may not be processed until late Jan, call back then

Dec 15 - received a letter from IRS, asking for clarification on fed Income Tax return, additional info to process return

Jan. 3 - ITIN numbers issued, letters dated Dec. 30

Jan 12 - still waiting on passports  

Good afternoon!

My Federal tax return application and ITIN application for my wife and son are delivered to the IRS last week.
While checking the file that I have saved as a copy, I found a  mistake on the W-7 form (prepared for my Son- where last 4 digits of SSN is incorrect----just one digit was mistyped).
Rest of other forms have correct information including form1040. My wife W7 has also correct information. 
Just wondering how to solve the wrong SSN for my Son's W7 form. Should we wait for IRS or is there any way to have it corrected?
Will this impact the processing of federal tax return?
I did talk to the CPA, CPA said that we can send your 1040 and write "COPY" on top of it, that ways it won't get processed again.

What do you guys say? Looking forward to your suggestions.

Regards,
Shyam

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. My personal suggestion is to wait until you hear from the IRS regarding the status of your filed return. If it is rejected because of the incorrect ITIN, then you will have a chance to correct it then and resubmit. There may be a lapse of time for this to transpire but once you submit to the IRS the first time, it is difficult to change anything until they process the return.

mugunthan_16
Returning Member

Hello, I filed for my wife's ITIN renewal late 2019. Then, I filed my 2020 tax return while my wife's ITIN renewal was in progress. They rejected her ITIN renewal first time as tax return was not included. We went to a IRS tax office for filing the second time and they rejected again for the same reason even though all the docs were validated by the IRS official during our personal appointment. I sent IRS all the docs the third time and they sent the original docs back saying the renewal is processed. I am still waiting to hear back. I could not talk to them to get the status as the call gets disconnected automatically. My question now, should I file my 2021taxes (note that my 2020 tax return is still on hold)? or Should I wait to hear back on the ITIN renewal? or should I file my 2021 taxes and include a new W-7 for renewal along with the return? Please advise. Thanks a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies