turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: amending return

I filed my taxes and the irs has accepted them, but I just received a 1098-T form from my daughter's college and I plugged the figures in and it shows that I would recive  $1,000 more on my return. Should I file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  Since your return has been accepted, wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time).

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:

Where's my amended return?

Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But do I wait to spend the refund until after the amended return has been accepted

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

As long as you are due additional refund, you should be ok.

Npanus10

I forgot to add a w2 to my return, how do i go about adding it?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If your return has been accepted by the IRS, then you will need to file an amended return in order to include the information on your additional W-2.  

If your return is rejected for any reason or if you have not filed yet, then you can include the W-2 before you resubmit or file it.

If you have filed and you will be amending your return to add the W-2, you should wait until your return has been fully processed and your refund has been received if you are expecting one before amending.  

Then, use the instructions in the following TurboTax article to amend your return:

nnhm
Returning Member

I got a 1099 paper after filing my taxes. Do I have to Amend it right away or what do I do i never got one of these before.. Its from my bank

nnhm
Returning Member

And it has been accepted 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should amend your return fairly soon. 

You want to amend the return before you receive an IRS letter for the missing Form 1099.

You will need to wait until the IRS has accepted your original return before filing the amendment. If you are to receive a refund, wait until you receive it before filing the amended return. If you owed the IRS money, then wait for your payment to clear. 

For TurboTax Online, simply login to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.

You can find out more about amending a return here

@nnhm

I downloaded the desktop software for MAC to amend my 2018 which has been already filed with Turbo that year, however, none of the information was imported over? I had no issues with my 2017 and all the info from 2017 was already there including my refund amounts. This is not the case with 2018 and even tho I click on amend a return it is asking I enter all my info including my W-2 again.

@Puravida143 wrote:

I downloaded the desktop software for MAC to amend my 2018 which has been already filed with Turbo that year, however, none of the information was imported over? I had no issues with my 2017 and all the info from 2017 was already there including my refund amounts. This is not the case with 2018 and even tho I click on amend a return it is asking I enter all my info including my W-2 again.

Did you download the 2018 tax data file from the online account?

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

If so, you should be able to browse to the location where you downloaded the tax data file and start the amended return.

Johnshilow
Returning Member

I need to change my information on my return. I have correct my state. I tried to stop it when I realized the issuse

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Your question isn't clear, did you need to amend your return, or did you start the amendment and now you do not need it and need to clear it our of the system?

Iselasnz

If I had already filed my taxes for 2019 an I recived another w2 how do I add it in my return that I filed 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you have already filed, then you will need to amend your return to add the W-2.  You should wait until your original return has been fully processed and your refund has been received if you are expecting one before amending.  

Then, use the instructions in the following TurboTax article to amend your return:

@Iselasnz

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies