Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending a return

I accidentally chose married instead of single when I sent my taxes for 2022. When my boyfriend tried to file his taxes, he got denied because I said we were married on my tax return. I understand I need to amend my return. Can I do it electronically, or do I need to send it by mail? Also, do I need to mail my W2 with my amended return? And how about my boyfriend? Does he also need to send it by mail? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Amending a return

He will have to mail his Single return this year even if you amend.  So he doesn't have to wait to file.

You can efile your amended return.  You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amending a return

If you e-filed your original 2022 return you should be able to e-file the amended return. You do not have to mail your W-2 with it.

Your boyfriend will have to file by mail in any case.

IMPORTANT - You said you filed as married. It's not clear whether you filed as married filing jointly or as married filing separately. If you filed as married filing jointly you MUST file your amended return immediately, in spite of what VolvoGirl said. After Tuesday, April 18, you are not allowed to change from married filing jointly to single or any other filing status by simply filing an amended return. After the April 18 filing deadline, changing from a joint return to any other filing status becomes a much more involved process, and you would almost certainly need professional help. If you get into that situation, your boyfriend should not file his tax return because it will have to be included in the process of changing from married filing jointly.

If you filed as married filing separately you should follow VolvoGirl's advice and wait until your original return has been processed before you file the amended return.

(Note to anyone reading this answer in future years: The April 18 deadline is specifically for 2022 tax returns being filed in 2023. In most years the filing deadline is April 15.)

Amending a return

Ok i will wait and then do it. I tried to do it today but when i clicked transmit return Turbo Tax wont allow me. It says if you are changing filing status you need to send it by mail. Is it because i need to wait until i get my return first? It gave me options to choose from FS: and 5 options. Something like 

Fs: single

fs: married filing jointly etcc

Ps: originally i filed married filing separately 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amending a return

Until last year the IRS did not allow an amended return to be e-filed if you were changing the filing status. The IRS has eliminated that restriction, but TurboTax still follows the old rule. So you will have to file your amended return by mail. I forgot about that when I said you could e-file the amended return. It has nothing to do with waiting for the refund from your original return. TurboTax doesn't know when you get your refund.

Your tax return is the form you send to the government that shows your income and calculates your tax. The money the government sends back to you is your refund.

Amending a return

Ok so basically file by mail. Wait to get the refund and then send my amended return after that by mail. When i file by mail do i need to also send my w2 or any other documents? And my boyfriend he can still file whenever even though i havent sent my amended return yet right? Thank you so much for your help.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amending a return

If all you are doing is changing the filing status and removing your boyfriend's information, you do not have to send your W-2 or any other documents. You would only have to include a document if you are adding a W-2, 1099, or other document that was not included in your original return.

Yes, your boyfriend can file anytime, but he has to file by mail. He does not have to wait until you file your amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies