Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2019 - Real Instructions?

I used Turbotax Home and Business to file 2019. I found a couple of mistakes and I want to amend my return and pay the tax I owe. Why is the process of using Turbotax to amend so vaguely explained and demonstrated?

There is no video that shows me what happens after I click the "Amend" button. Perhaps I should just click it and move on, but there is also no information regarding any potential communications between Turbotax and the IRS, if I do click the button. I believe the answer is that there is no communication but a simple video on this topic that actually shows a return being amended would help me feel better about this process.

Also, I found no clear steps posted for amending The steps I did find, your attempt to address my concern, are not accurate because they make vague references to this feature. Does clicking the Amend button allow me to make a copy of am I supposed to do that first? 

Also, does the product help me amend state taxes since your product is used for filing both Fed and State taxes.

Where can I find clear and accurate information about what happens once I click the Amend button???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

You must make a copy of your original return before you press the amend button. 

Yes TurboTax will help you amend both the federal and state returns.

There are at least two videos I found using a search engine. They may not have as much detail as your looking for but I believe once to start the amendment you will get fairly detailed instructions for what to do.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/video-how-to-amend-taxes-that-are-already-filed/L4...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/video-how-to-amend-your-tax-return/L2wLEwRf1

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When you amend a tax return, you are not literally making changes to the tax return that you already filed. An "amended return" is actually a separate form, Form 1040-X, that specifies what you want to change and recalculates your tax. You send the Form 1040-X to the IRS to make the changes.

You are correct that there is no communication between TurboTax and the IRS about amending your tax return. Nothing gets sent to the IRS until you send the Form 1040-X. Clicking the Amend button merely takes you to the place in TurboTax to start preparing Form 1040-X.

At the present time TurboTax does not support e-filing of Form 1040-X. The only way to send it to the IRS is for you to print it, sign it, and mail it. As one of the videos tells you, you have to attach the updated copies of any supporting forms or schedules that are changed.

Since you are using the CD/Download TurboTax software, before you start to amend your return, save a copy of your original filed tax return with a different file name. You will then have two identical copies of the file. Amend one copy, and keep the other copy unmodified for future reference, or in case you have to start the amended return over again.

@Texas Roger I saw those videos and they are high level explanations of Amending. Where is the step-by-step video specific to Turbo tax?

@Critter-3 These steps are obviously not from TT. Steps 4/5/6 are wrong. Again, I think there needs to be a specific tutorial where someone actually amends a return. Seems like an obvious value, and I am shocked it does not already exist.

@rjs Thanks this was helpful. I'd like to see a tutorial and also some commentary on what I get from TurboTax and what I need to send to the IRS. Basically, a real tutorial for this process is needed.

The amendment process walks you thru the start & end of the amendment process (file tab)  ... the middle (your changes) you will need to navigate to the sections of the interview that need changing ... because there are so many changes that can be made a step by step video is not practical.  Click on the section tabs in the black menu bar on the left side to navigate thru the program ... you can skip from section to section that way.  

What exactly do you need to correct ?   Maybe we can point you in the correct direction.  

First of all do not amend until your first return is fully processed and you get the first refund or pay the tax due.  Yes save your original 1040 return first - go to File - Save As and give it a different name.

Then when you hit Amend and it resets your return to zero, you just go through entering the changes and delete and add your items just like you did the first time.  

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@ericinmaryland wrote:

These steps are obviously not from TT. Steps 4/5/6 are wrong.

I'm not sure what the problem is with steps 4, 5, and 6. They certainly are from TurboTax. When you posted your question you indicated that you are using the CD or download TurboTax Home & Business software installed on your own Windows computer. Is that correct, or are you using TurboTax Online? The steps are different in TurboTax Online.

I understand that you would like to have a more detailed tutorial, but it simply doesn't exist, and no one here in the community is in a position to create one for you. I suggest that you just go ahead and try to amend your return. You might find that it's not as difficult as you think. If you run into a problem, you can ask for specific help here. One of the advantages of the CD/Download TurboTax software (if that's what you're using) is that if you mess it up you can just delete the messed-up amended return, make a new copy of your original return, and try again.

@rjs Lets start here: "Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.", when I start TT, before I have opened a return I see an "Amend" button. What is that for?

Also, I don't want someone from the community to create a tutorial. I want Intuit to do that as this is their forum. I dont need them to do a whole Amend, I only want to see them click the Amend button and get started.

If you first make a copy of your file, name it something like 1040 Final or Filed or Amended, then you can test in one of them and see how it works and what happens if you click on Amend.  You can alway make another copy to amend or play in.  Just make sure to name them to know what they are like Amend1 or Amend2 and to keep the real original file saved intact.

Also before you amend you should check the filing status in your real return.  First you need to update your return with the filing status so it knows it was filed and accepted.  For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.

Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return and close and reopen it.  

How to amend a 2019 Desktop return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2019-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-d...

You can find Amend under

Federal Taxes or Personal (for Home & Business)

Other Tax Situations

@Critter-3 One issue is that there is an erroneous tax amount on Schedule 1 which TT says its getting from line 12 of the K-1. Problem is there is no value on line 12 of the K1. This seems to be to be an obvious mistake on the part of TT since it did not make sure the value on Schedule-1 was supported by an actual entry on the K-1.

The other issue has to do with what qualifies as an above the line deduction for health insurance vs. a below the line one. I placed an amount in the schedule 1 when it did not qualify to be placed there. This one is my fault.

In terms of the amend process....it appears that one starts with a copy, then fixes the return, then figures out what to report on the 1040x.

Does TT create a 1040x with the corrections?

@VolvoGirl Thanks for the information. This is exactly the detail that should be documented. Right now, unless you have amended there is nothing that shows any part of the process using TT. I like to see what's ahead before I plunge in and I think Intuit can provide that level of guidance.

And thanks for the 1040V note...great point!

I highly recommend you call TT support for one on one assistance with these matters ...

To call TurboTax customer support         

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time   Monday - Friday

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies