Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Amending 2019 - Real Instructions?

Here's how it should work .

After you click AMEND, Turbotax sets up the 1040x.

Then revise your tax return to be correct.

The differences will flow to 1040x.

When done, print the 1040x.

It is up to you to find the forms and schedules that changed due to your amendment.

Those are the ones to be included with the 1040x you file.

It's also up to you to verify that the 1040x reflects all the changes properly before sending..

@fanfare Is there any reason why I can just send the entire new return. Is it that they want me to find just the changes so that can replace those pages in the filed return?

@Critter-3 I do plan to call them over issue number #1 but I am sure they will say you entered the number and its not our problem. I probably did enter the number at some point trying to figure things out but at the end of the day the return review should catch the inconsistency and prevent e-file. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@ericinmaryland wrote:

@rjs Lets start here: "Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.", when I start TT, before I have opened a return I see an "Amend" button. What is that for?

There are several ways to start the amending process. You can click the amend button the opening screen, you can use the Jump to link, or you can click "Amend a return" under Other Tax Situations. They all do the same thing. They all take you to the beginning of the amending process. It doesn't matter which one you use.

@ericinmaryland wrote:

Does TT create a 1040x with the corrections?

Yes. That's one of the things you get from TurboTax. You don't have to figure out what to put on Form 1040-X. TurboTax fills it out for you.

@ericinmaryland wrote:

Is there any reason why I can just send the entire new return. Is it that they want me to find just the changes so that can replace those pages in the filed return?

The reason you can't do that is that the IRS won't accept an entire new tax return. They will just send it back to you with a letter saying that you already filed. When you need to make changes to a tax return that you already filed, you have to use Form 1040-X. That is the procedure that the IRS has established for amending a tax return.

They don't replace pages in the original return. The IRS works with the information in your tax return, not the physical pages.

@rjs I think you misunderstood. 1040X asks that the forms that have changed be attached. I am asking why I wouldn't just include the whole return with the 1040X on top.

Maybe it's will help.  Here are the IRS 1040X Instructions 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf 

And a blank 1040X

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

Sending in more than required is not recommended as it can confuse the date input operator ...  but you can do it.

If you efiled the original return may I suggest you wait until TT has the new efiling for amended returns tool online and then efile it ... don't know exactly when it will be operational ... may be a month or more. 

@Critter-3 This is from the instructions:

"Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040-X in the order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper-right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. Don’t attach a copy of your original return, correspondence, or other items unless required to do so."

There is additional instructions about what to attach directly to the 1040X. From the description above, they appear to want the 1040x and all of the schedules.

From 28 years of experience in the business and having taught the income tax prep course : 

You only need to attach any forms or schedules that changed and support the changes in column B of the 1040X ... so for example  if your only change was for some interest on the Sch B then ONLY the Sch B needs to be attached to the 1040X.   Sending 50 pages of unneeded supporting docs is not needed and again can cause confusion.  

From the IRS instructions ... it doesn't tell you to send extra unneeded items ... if you were the data input operator would you appreciate all the extra pages that you have to sort thru to get to the forms that you need to enter ... think about it.   May I suggest you just wait for TT to have the efile option working and let the program send the correct pages. 

"Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040-X in the order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper-right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. Don’t attach a copy of your original return, correspondence, or other items unless required to do so."

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@beyondthebox wrote:

This is from the instructions:

... they appear to want the 1040x and all of the schedules.

They want the schedules that are related to the changes you are making.

This is also from the 1040-X instructions (emphasis added).

"Explain each change in Part III. If you need more space, attach a statement. Attach any schedule or form relating to the change. For example, attach Schedule A (Form 1040) if you are amending a 2018 Form 1040 to itemize deductions... Don't attach items unless required to do so."

@Critter-3 Your experience level is very helpful and I appreciate the information.

BTW, I agree that the operator may be overwhelmed but the goal is to ensure the IRS has everything they need to mitigate questions. But you are right, that should not require the whole return.

@rjs Conflicting information in IRS instructions....shocking 😉

Of course... when all else fails read the form ... 😉

1....jpg

MN175

Access denied when clicking on link

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies