Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Wow that’s a long time! I called the taxpayer advocate and they told me they can’t help with amended returns. It’s terrible waiting for money that is owed to you. I hope everyone gets their returns processed soon. 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

1040X received 5/17/2020. Still waiting on an 8k overpayment refund.

"June 30, 2021 8:26 AM

I mailed my 2018 amended tax return to

the Austin location mid august 2020, it showed it was received in the “where is my amended return?”  Mid March 2021, and I FINALLY got my refund last week of June 2021.   So….10 months for me. "

Mine received may 2020, still not even processed. Sent to Austin. In order received? Riiiiight........wtf?

Sam1111111111   wrote:  "Mine received may 2020, still not even processed. Sent to Austin."

You didn't say what tax year you were amending, so I assume it was 2019 or earlier.

So it's been 15 months since you mailed your amended return to Austin?   Have you spoken to the IRS?

This is anecdotal, but I called the IRS a few days ago and found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:58 PM and quickly go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   And luckily, my hunch worked for me.  Still had to wait about 25 minutes.     Some users have said they managed to get in by phoning when the IRS first opened in the morning at 7 AM, but I assumed there would be a big rush to get in at that time.   (plus I wanted to sleep late 🤠. )

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have no luck reaching the IRS, or don't get satisfactory information, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

Yes have spoke, nothing ever happens, same excuses.

I will call the advocates, thanks.

Thank you for showing us how to get through to a live human.  I actually got through but it was around 6pm.  I tried during the day but I couldn’t get through. 

Thanks again

ray105
Returning Member

I filed amended returns for 2017 and 2018 in January of 2021, and I have the certified mail delivery confirmation showing that they were received by the IRS on Jan 14th, 2021. I have been checking the "Where's my amended return" website periodically, and as of today, almost 8 months later, the returns are STILL not showing up in their system. Shame on the IRS for being so quick to take our money but torturously slow in returning it (if they ever will...).

I agree. I filled amended returns for 2018 and 2019 in April and taking shots that they were received April 29th. I'm just hoping that they say the time frame ran out on the one from 2018 because you only have 3 years to file it.  They are taking absolutely too long. I don't know why they keep telling us to check that tracking tool. It's BS

@tinybrooks wrote:

I agree. I filled amended returns for 2018 and 2019 in April and taking shots that they were received April 29th. I'm just hoping that they say the time frame ran out on the one from 2018 because you only have 3 years to file it.  They are taking absolutely too long. I don't know why they keep telling us to check that tracking tool. It's BS

You track an amended tax return using this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

It may take 6 months or longer before the IRS starts to process the amended tax return.

For a 2018 amended return it can be filed at any time on or before April 15, 2022, so your filing is well before the deadline to file a 2018 amended return.

Wow. So I have 6 months to go. 

@tinybrooks The April 2022 date is the deadline for you to FILE an amended 2018 return.   That does not mean April is when you get the refund -- you already filed it, right?   So you just have to watch the amended return refund site for information now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The 3 years to file to get a refund is from the due date of the return.  A 2018 tax return was due April 2019.  So you have until April 2022 to claim a refund.

U Mail my 2018 amended returned  over 10 weeks ago. Still not showing any information about the Status.

I mailed it myself.

@Quedwagg58 wrote:

U Mail my 2018 amended returned  over 10 weeks ago. Still not showing any information about the Status.

It is taking the IRS 6 months or longer to process mailed amended tax returns.

Keep checking the status at least weekly at this IRS website for amended tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies