turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TimL1408
Returning Member

Amended Tax Return & Stimulus Check Question

I had to do an amended tax return this year, I sent in my amended tax return to the IRS in February on the 10th of 2020. When I check the IRS website it says that my information does not match, now I can't talk to a live person at the IRS due to this whole virus thing happening. 

I have gotten my state tax return just not my federal, would this also impact my stimulus check deposit?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

As long as you meet the qualifications for the stimulus payment you will get it.  As you might imagine things are very fluid at the moment, but your returns will be processed and all payments will be made.  Here is a link with information on the qualifications.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TimL1408
Returning Member

For the stimulus check, do I need to have already received my federal tax return? I have already received my state return, but for my federal I had to send in an amended return.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, but did you include direct deposit information on your original and/or amended return? 

TimL1408
Returning Member

Yes, I did. Is that all I would need? When I submitted my state tax return with TurboTax I put my direct deposit information in and I have received my state tax return. 

Just to make sure, the stimulus check would not need the federal return to be deposited directly into my bank account? The state return is fine as all I would need if I didn't have both already?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, the refund does not need to have already occurred for the IRS to have your direct deposit information. 

You might also use "Get My Payment" 

The IRS is launching “Get My Payment” where you can track your stimulus payment as well as update banking information if your payment has not yet been issued.

It is slated to be active April 17th.

Get My Payment

TimL1408
Returning Member

Alright, thank you.

I have one more question, for my 2018 tax return, I lived in a different state from where I live now. My 2018 tax return was filed in TN as opposed to where I live now in CT. Back in TN, I had a different bank that I had my 2018 tax return direct deposited to. For my 2019 tax return, I filed in CT with my new bank. While I got my state return from CT I did not get my federal and had to do an amended tax return.

My question is would this stimulus check go by my 2018 tax return and thus go to my old bank which I no longer use or the stimulus check use the 2019 tax return and be deposited into my bank I have now in CT, even though I only have gotten my state return so far.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The stimulus process will use the most current return filed.  Even though you are amending, your original return for 2019 is on file.  

TimL1408
Returning Member

I have just checked with the "Get my payment" application on the IRS website, I have typed in my information and the result is that my tax information does not match. Now I am totally unsure of what to do. This is for the stimulus check.

Sflentroy

I have a question. On my tax return I mark that I that someone would able to claim me as a dependent but my mother didn't claim me as a dependent on her tax return can I still get a stimulus check 

TimL1408
Returning Member

Can I get a reply from an employee, please? @DMarkM1 @KrisD15 

TimL1408
Returning Member

How about that reply? @DMarkM1 @KrisD15 

TimL1408
Returning Member

Its been more than 24 hours since I last checked the "get my payment tool" for the IRS site. It tells me that the information does not match. Yet people are getting their stimulus checks. I am starting to think I made a mistake using turbotax as my tax filing product. The software also didn't tell me that I was missing anything when I first filed for the year. 

Now its been nearly a day since the last responses from the employees @DMarkM1 @KrisD15 even replied to my forum post.

TimL1408
Returning Member

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

The "Get my Payment Tool" is only updated once per day, it has also only been active one day - so there has been only one update so far.  If the tool does not yet have your data, it doesn't mean it was missing on your tax return or that there is a problem.  It simply indicates your data isn't in the tool yet.  

The method that you use to file your taxes does not affect when (or if) you receive an Economic Impact Payment. 

Many taxpayers have not yet received payments - there has only been one round of them distributed so far, with several more to come.   

@TimL1408 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies