turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend Tax is not setting refund to 0 and causing incorrect refund

I received a corrected 1099-DIV from my brokerage firm  after I filed the 2019 return (essentially reducing total ordinary dividends by 2K and increase total capital gains distribution by the corresponding 2K).   I waited till all the refunds (fed and state) were received before going back to TurboTax to amend my 2019 return.   However, instead of setting Fed and State refund amounts to $0, it left 5K in the Fed refund box when I started the amend process in TurboTax.   When I reviewed the 1040X form, it is not bringing the original Adjusted Gross Income either.    It seems to be adding 5K incorrected to the refund for the amended return.    Is this a bug in Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Undo the amendment and look at the return ... does it look exactly as the filed return ?  If not then what is the differences ? 

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?

1. Open your return if it’s not already open.
  2. In the left menu select Cancel amend.
  3. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return.

Yes.  I even used the backup *.tax file from the day I filed it back in March and tried it again.   It still does not zero out the fed refund box.

Ignore the "Refund-O-Meter"  ... only look at the forms when amending ... is the amounts in column A the same as the original return ?    If not then compare the original 1040 against the current 1040 in the file ... which lines are different ?  If you are using the downloaded program switch to the FORMS mode to see all the forms.

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

I checked - looks like it is not bringing the Original Amount to 1040X correctly, starting with Adjusted Gross Income on Line 1 and of course, all resulting calcuations, including the original refund amount and the amount owed or to be refunded as a result of 1040X.   What should I do now?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies