Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After i already mailed my return, I realized I forgot to add an education credit and mailed the only copy of that credit with the return! Now what should I do?!?

Should I amend the whole return? It hasn’t been accepted yet! Or is this something they can correct since my return hasn’t been filed or accepted! I’m so confused!!!!!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

After i already mailed my return, I realized I forgot to add an education credit and mailed the only copy of that credit with the return! Now what should I do?!?

no. this is something the IRS will not adjust because without the tax form they don't know that you qualify for the credit.  you'll have to wait until your return is fully processed and then amend it.   in the meantime, contact the educational institution to get a copy of the 1098-T

I mailed the tax form from the school with my taxes. 

So ... if you did not also include the education credit form  8863 the data input operator will simply ignore the unneeded/unused form(especially since it should NOT have been mailed in at all).   So now you wait for the original return to be fully processed and the original refund is in hand.  Only then should you amend the return and you now have time to get another copy of the form if you don't have one ... most colleges make that form available online so check with them.  

So i went online and found the form. I entered all the info on another tax prep site as if I was filing all over again and it was literally not that much of a difference.. I’m just going ignore it. I just don’t  want to get in any trouble with the IRS. Thank you!!!!!! 

The credit is optional not required and you will not have any trouble.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies