turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

noxxy96

Accidently forgot to add my 1099-G to my tax return what can i do to fix thi?

forgot to add my 1099-G to my tax return can i fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you filed your return already, you will have to wait to add your 1099-G information.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back, cancel it, or make any changes to it. 

You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

Also, the Federal amended return (1040X), will not be available until around Feb. 28th (subject to change).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you filed your return already, you will have to wait to add your 1099-G information.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back, cancel it, or make any changes to it. 

You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

Also, the Federal amended return (1040X), will not be available until around Feb. 28th (subject to change).

I ran into the same problem; forgot to add my 1099-G unemployment.  : (  Now Turbotax is holding us up; those of us who want to amend their returns.  I can't amend mine; get some message saying that I can't amend right now; to try back later.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Current IRS guidelines state that taxpayers should not amend returns for 1099G Unemployment Income (UI) entries.  If your adjusted gross income is $150,000 or less and your unemployment benefits paid in 2020 is $10,200 or less then you will not need to amend your federal return to add that information.  Up to 10.200 of UI is excluded from federal taxes.

Furthermore, the IRS is reviewing returns affected by the Unemployment benefit exclusion and making the necessary corrections.  

You should wait for your return to be processed.  

Be advised, however, that some states have not yet conformed to the new federal tax exclusion for UI.  Once your federal return is processed you may need to amend your state return to include the income for state tax purposes.  TurboTax will guide you in that process if you need.  

Here is a link with information on state conformity.  Scroll down to the Unemployment exclusion section to find the status of your state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi DMarkM1:

Thanks for all that great info!  I will bookmark it!  But just for clarification:  I ALREADY received my refund weeks ago.  Do I still have to wait until Turbotax sorts this all out?  Also, my total unemployment received in 2020 was definitely more than $10,200.  

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please review this FAQ @cjs56484.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies