Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

My refund status says accepted but not approved it's been 3 week's

@Hsieck19 When the blue bar is complete in TurboTax, it means that the IRS has accepted your return and that you have an estimated refund date (if you are expecting a tax refund).

TurboTax -  E-filing status is just what stage of the process your return is in. (Once accepted you will start tracking on the IRS site)

IRS Refund status is about when you can expect you refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund? at IRS.gov. Where's my Refund has the most current information.
Per the IRS, most refunds are received within 21 days from the time a return has been accepted but some can take longer.

Also note per the irs.gov/refunds:

Updates to Where’s My Refund Status Delayed for Some

The Where’s My Refund app may show “Return Received,” even if we’ve already issued your refund. Your refund will not be delayed. There’s no need to call the IRS.

For additional information, please see the TurboTax FAQ When will I get my IRS refund?

Any updates on this? Mine still stuck in accepted 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@Taleian001 Once your return is "Accepted" by the IRS, please be sure you are now checking the IRS Where's My Refund? site for your refund status. Please also check the IRS website here. It is noted there that Updates to Where’s My Refund Status Delayed for Some. Some have reported that the IRS link did not update and they did receive their refund.

Please see the links below for more information:

Same. I filed earlier, but it didn't transmit until the 12th. The IRS has been delaying the child tax credit returns for a few years now, but usually their site updates. My refund was due to be issued today at the latest, but it still shows "accepted" and not approved or issued. Apparently, a lot of us are having this problem.

Their website says the APP status may be delayed. It does not say the website is delayed.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

It can take 21 days from the time your return has been accepted to the time your refund will be disbursed.  Also, there may be delays depending on what forms have been filed with your return.  For more details, please see the Help Article here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mines says approved but its been longer than 3weeks i cant get through to the irs due to high volumes of calls. I just want to know whats going on any advice or info to help please

Mine changed to "Your return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

It's been well over 21 days. I should have had my refund a couple weeks ago.
I don't think I will use or trust Turbo Tax again.

Hsieck19

It is now past the 21 days since “Accepted “ and my state refund is posting in my account (I did direct deposit) but no news on my federal. Also both state and federal still say “Accepted “ and not “Approved “. Why would state be here now but not federal? 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@thatwave @Hsieck19

The IRS has a high volume of returns that they are processing so although unlikely, it is not unnormal for some returns to take longer than 21 days to process. However, for any inquiries about your personal refund, you will need to reach out to the IRS for more information. Here's how to proceed since it's been longer than 3 weeks that your has been accepted: What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days?

Chelsyt9

My federal tax refund was accepted  2-12 and today is 3-8, it has been well over 21 days. The irs webiste only says my refund has been accepted. when i was filing my taxes there was a question if i had received the stimulus checks in 2020 and i checked off yes. Even though i did not receive the extra money for my son each payment. I noticed in my tax return that turbo tax added some type of stimulus payment in my tax return even though i clearly checked off on turbo tax that i received mine already.  I hope that it is not a mistake on turbo tax end because i followed through honestly and accurately. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If the TurboTax program added a Recover Rebate Credit for your son (dependent) then I would assume that you are entitled to the payment. 

Be aware that some children of divorced and/or non-married parents may generate TWO payments, one for each parent, and this is perfectly acceptable. In these situations, both parents get a check for the same child. 

The IRS has been overwhelmed with the stimulus payments as well as what we are all dealing with as far as working through a pandemic. Please give the processing a little more time. 

Kgermek8

What’s the turn around time on it’s processing? I’ve never have had issues before. Single mom/ 4 kids. Struggling, need refund. Can anyone give me a range!? I’m not even getting the same color coded arrow from left to right saying received / processed/ refund accepted. It just says in black text been processing since the 5th. It’s the 9th. How long does it take to process a poor single moms taxes? Praying for peace and serenity and the government to make things easy for once on the Americans struggling the most

@Kgermek8 wrote:

What’s the turn around time on it’s processing? I’ve never have had issues before. Single mom/ 4 kids. Struggling, need refund. Can anyone give me a range!? I’m not even getting the same color coded arrow from left to right saying received / processed/ refund accepted. It just says in black text been processing since the 5th. It’s the 9th. How long does it take to process a poor single moms taxes? Praying for peace and serenity and the government to make things easy for once on the Americans struggling the most

The IRS is running behind due to COVID and a huge amount of early tax returns being filed this year.

21 days is not a magic number - it is just an average.

TurboTax only gives the general IRS (most returns are processed within 21 days) date. The actual date is known only by the IRS. TurboTax also does not adjust the general date for anything on the tax return. TurboTax receives no feedback from the IRS after filing.

The IRS says most refunds will be issued within 21 days - some faster, some longer.
(Most means more than half so many take longer - MUCH longer)

Each tax return is evaluated on it's own merits. There is no first-in-first-out. Two similar tax return submitted at the same time can have totally different processing times based on IRS criteria for examining tax returns that the IRS does not divulge.

Some returns will be held for ID verification or other verification. The IRS will send a letter if they require more information to process your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

Check your refund stratus here:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Check your state refund here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The IRS has screwed up a lot of refunds this year for early filers. I've read a few new articles about it in recent days.

This is so harmful for people who were desperate to pay bills with their refunds. At least the stimulus payments will come sooner now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies