turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

90 Day Payment Extension

When will TurboTax Update so we can extend the direct debit payment date given the 90 day extension.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

90 Day Payment Extension

@taxchamp wrote:

Unfortunately, the last response is nowhere near an answer to the question posed.

Since the change to the filing date and the payment date was only announced 4 days ago on March 20, it takes awhile to get the software updated across the desktop and online editions for the personal, professional and business programs.  Then TurboTax has to wait until the IRS has changed their systems to accept payment dates after April 15, 2020 and on or before July 15, 2020 for a 2019 tax return, otherwise the tax return would be rejected by the IRS.  This date change affects all tax preparation software companies and paid tax professionals who provide e-filing for their clients.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

90 Day Payment Extension

Since Turbo Tax doesn't update with the IRS, you can continue to track your refund status at the IRS Where's my Refund  site.

90 Day Payment Extension

Unfortunately that is not the answer to the question.  The question is when will the Turbo Tax software be updated to allow for a direct debit beyond the April 15th date as approved by the government.  All I need is for the updates, which occur nearly every time I open the program to include the option for self selecting a date beyond April 15th.   

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

90 Day Payment Extension

With the extension, you will need to contact the IRS directly to schedule a payment beyond the April 15th deadline. They will be able to assist you over the phone. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SSC87

90 Day Payment Extension

According to the IRS, there is no need to contact them and make arrangements. They announced the extension to pay until July 15th 2020 for taxpayers.  When will Turbo Tax update their software to allow Direct Debit to choose a date beyond April 15th?

90 Day Payment Extension

Your question is my question. When will Turbo Tax update their software to allow Direct Debit to choose a date beyond April 15th?

I am new to this Real Money Talk.  Does anyone directly employed by TurboTax respond?  That, I think is what is needed.  This is a pretty simple question....and I would think a pretty simple software enhancement.  

The direct debit is a far safer and reliable method than sending a check in an certified envelope....especially now.

90 Day Payment Extension

Yeap, make an update to select date past April 15th, or I'm not filing thought you.

90 Day Payment Extension

@zyxelenator wrote:

Yeap, make an update to select date past April 15th, or I'm not filing thought you.

Doubtful you will find any other tax preparation software that has already been updated to the new dates for 2019 since the change was only announced two days ago.

The extension to pay the taxes owed is automatic if you have 2019 federal taxes owed.  The taxes owed do not have to be paid until July 15, 2020

However, you still must file your 2019 tax return on or before April 15, 2020 to avoid the failure to file penalties.

When filing your 2019 tax return select the option to pay the 2019 tax with a check.  Then continue and e-file your tax return.

Then on or before July 15, 2020 go to the IRS payment website and use Direct Pay to the pay the taxes owed - https://www.irs.gov/payments

90 Day Payment Extension

Unfortunately, the last response is nowhere near an answer to the question posed.

90 Day Payment Extension

@taxchamp This may not satisfy you either if you think the software should have been updated immediately after they extended the filing deadline.  BUT---before TurboTax can change the software for the new payment deadline and new filing deadline, the IRS has to make its own changes.  Then the IRS has to approve changes in all of the tax preparation software.  The new deadlines were announced only days ago.  Your patience is needed in a difficult situation for all.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

90 Day Payment Extension

@taxchamp wrote:

Since the change to the filing date and the payment date was only announced 4 days ago on March 20, it takes awhile to get the software updated across the desktop and online editions for the personal, professional and business programs.  Then TurboTax has to wait until the IRS has changed their systems to accept payment dates after April 15, 2020 and on or before July 15, 2020 for a 2019 tax return, otherwise the tax return would be rejected by the IRS.  This date change affects all tax preparation software companies and paid tax professionals who provide e-filing for their clients.

90 Day Payment Extension

Thank you for that response.  I infer from your answer that Turbo Tax CAN and WILL update their software and will most likely do so prior to April 15th.  Would this be correct?

Are any of the responders official employees of Turbo Tax?  I am new to this Real Money Talk, and am unsure if these responses are from official Turbo Tax, or just smart bloggers opining.

EREIN

90 Day Payment Extension

Okay, it’s now been weeks since the July 15 deadline was announced; when will TurboTax be updated to reflect that?

90 Day Payment Extension

@EREIN wrote:

Okay, it’s now been weeks since the July 15 deadline was announced; when will TurboTax be updated to reflect that?

The TurboTax software was updated for the new dates on March 27, 2020 for federal filing and federal tax payments on or before July 15, 2020.

EREIN

90 Day Payment Extension

Not my installed (from a download) Tubo Tax Deluxe!   I keep checking for updates and get nothing.  I called them just now and was told they are working on it with no known completion date. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies