turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 taxes to owe

I owe for 2019 taxes. I was wondering how am I able to pay it after April 15, 2020? I saw that the taxes have been moved to a later date, is there something I need to do after I filled my taxes already? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

2019 taxes to owe

If you filed your 2019 tax return and requested to have the taxes owed debited from your account on a certain date -

You will have to cancel the payment and then pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website on or before July 15, 2020.

IRS website for information on canceling a direct debit payment -https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Go to this IRS payment website and choose Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

2019 taxes to owe

I have to send a check in the mail. so would that be that same thing? or can I wait till a later date before July 15 to send in the check in the mail? 

2019 taxes to owe

@jtsims0425 wrote:

I have to send a check in the mail. so would that be that same thing? or can I wait till a later date before July 15 to send in the check in the mail? 

If you chose to mail a tax payment to the IRS then you can mail the payment at any time on or before July 15, 2020 and there will not be any penalties if the postmark on the envelope is before midnight on July 15.

2019 taxes to owe

ok thank you. do I still need to go to the website? or just send my check in? 

2019 taxes to owe

@jtsims0425 wrote:

ok thank you. do I still need to go to the website? or just send my check in? 

You only need the payment voucher, Form 1040-V, and mail the voucher and your check to the IRS.  If you selected to pay the taxes owed by check then the TurboTax program would have provided the Form 1040-V in the printout of your tax return.

IRS Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

2019 taxes to owe

yes I have that paper. thank you so much for answering my questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies