turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

richraub

2017 federal tax return was in error I had to pay $4200 in taxes and penalties. I want you to honor your promise to repay me if the return was wrong. Check line item 10

My 2017 federal tax return was wrong. The federal tax board had me pay $4200 in taxes and penalties. I want you to honor your pledge. And send me the $4200  ..see line item 10 on my federal 2017 return. There should have been an entry on that line there was none so my taxes were calculated wrong. I used your system. Please respond.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

2017 federal tax return was in error I had to pay $4200 in taxes and penalties. I want you to honor your promise to repay me if the return was wrong. Check line item 10

No one can see your tax return.  No one else has access to your account or your returns.  TurboTax guarantees that the calculations are correct based on the data that you entered on your do-it-yourself tax return.    If you forgot to enter some income or entered it incorrectly, that is a user error.   TurboTax will not pay your additional tax owed.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

TurboTax is not going to pay the tax that you would have paid anyway absent any error.   The most that would be paid is any late charge an interest, but only is it was a TurboTax calculation error (not likely) and not your data entry error.

If an entry was missing then you probably entered the data incorrectly.

Line 10 on a 2017 1040 was for taxable refunds of state tax but only if you itemized in 2016 - that is an amount that you must enter - TurboTax does not enter it for you.  That should come from a 1099-G sent to you by the  state.   ($4K in additional would require an extremely large refund that was previously deducted in 2016. that does not sound right,)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

In the program, you enter your state tax refund  from the prior year's return.  You are asked if you itemized in the prior year or if you took the state sales tax deduction rather than the state income tax deduction on your prior year itemized deductions.  If you did not itemize in the prior year o, if you took the state sales tax deduction, then your state refund is not taxable.

The IRS sends this notice any time they have a return that shows no entry on line 10 but they received information that you received a state ta refund.

They are quite often  wrong in sending out the notice, because they do not check to see if you itemized in the prior  year or if you took the state tax refund.

Look at your your 2017 return to see if you used a Schedule A and  if you took the sales tax deduction on line 5.  Call the number on the notice and ask the IRS to review your 2017 return to verify if your  refund was taxable or not.

As already  mentioned, the Guarantee covers only interest on additional tax, not the additional tax.  Most  likely, you will end up not owing any.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies