turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bmiley
Returning Member

1040x original amounts are wrong Why?

I need to change my amount on my taxes. Year amount is way wrong. Some how the amount was way high. I have never made that much money. So I need to redo it

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Have you filed your taxes already? If you have not—or if the IRS rejected your e-file—then you can fix whatever you need to before transmitting.

If you filed your return and the IRS has accepted your return, then you will have to prepare and send an amended tax return.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

You may have to amend your state taxes as well.

Wait until you receive your refund before amending your return. The IRS may catch some of your mistakes and adjust your refund.

You can check the status of your paper or electronically-filed amended return using the Where's My Amended Return? (WMAR) online tool or the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return. Both tools are available in English and Spanish and track the status of amended returns for the current year and up to three prior years.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cldiiuro
Returning Member

I am having the same problem with 2021 1040X.  It is pulling in the wrong values from the 1040.  For example, it is pulling in line 9 (Total Income) and putting it the AGI line on 1040X.  This is causing the wrong adjustment and not letting the tax amount reset to zero.

What are you talking about? No one is so stupid to do an amended return when he didn't even efile !

I am having the same problem. The1040-X amounts for my original return are radically different than what was on what I filed. I called TT customer support and, although the guy who answered was nice enough, he could provide no help at all.

I got it fixed. 

The solution is to open the 1040 form manually and then change the number on the Line(s) that was (were) wrong.  In my case, my Line 18 was wrong and I changed the number, which is the Refund I just got from IRS.  Because I missed reporting a $605 on my filed return,  now my 1040-X said I owed $145.   This $145 matches  the different between my original filing's refund  and the amended filing's refund ( assuming you ran the software with the accurate data).

Same experience and solution for me.  TurboTax put the wrong numbers into my 1040X--they did not match the original numbers from my Form 1040.  I took an entire day figuring out what was wrong and how to correct it.  I thought at first that there was an error in my amended Form 1040.  No.  Then I thought there was a phantom entry which somehow was not reflected in my original return or my amended return.  No.  I finally discovered that TurboTax had simply made an erroneous entry on my 1040X, reflecting the wrong original AGI.

My solution--I pulled down the "view" menu and chose "forms."  I pulled up the Form 1040X.  I found the erroneous entry and corrected it--everything else recalculated properly.  Done.

Apparently this has been a bug for years.  Shame on Intuit for not fixing it.

I did this! I put $1 where it said round to the nearest dollar...nope I had to put zero! Smh! I fixed it and now it's stuck on accepted from both.. my problem now is my refund amounts are not the same when I try to track it!!!! Can anyone help!?

Excuse me sir, we are taking an original 2022 tax return filed through Turbo Tax and doing an amendmen to it.  When you log into Turbo Tax AFTER receiving the refund from the IRS, the adjusted gross income AND total taxes are CORRECT, when you see them listed in the front section of Turbo Tax for that year., so they have that in memory somewhere, but when you do an amendment to, in this case, the 2022 taxes, the final 1040-X "original column" (Column A) DOES NOT MATCH the numbers in the original tax return.  Talking about the AGI (line1 of 1040-X) TAXABLE INCOME (line5 of 1040-X) TAX ITSELF (line 6 of 1040-X) and the TOTAL TAX (line11 of 1040-X), DO NOT MATCH what was in the orignal 2022 return, but again, shows in the front section of Turbo Tax when pulled up.  So, where is Turbo Tax getting those figures in the "original column" (Column A) of the 1040-X????  This throws everything off when doing the amendment, now the "correct amount" (Column C) of the 1040-X end up with the "correct" numbers due to the changes made in the 1040-X, but the "net change column" (Column B) of the 1040-X will reflect the wrong figures due to the wrong figures in Column A of the 1040-X.  This gives us an erroneous amount for either the "tax refund" or "tax owed".  When is TURBO TAX GOING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!  IN 10 YEARS MAYBE!!!!  We have been after you to fix this problem over the years but are in deaf ears here!  Thank you!!!

Same goes for the 2022 tax return utilizing the 1040-X, FIX IT, TUBO TAX!!!!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an older thread that may have outdated information.  So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@kayourk1  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cooperhs

Its not outdated information. It still has the Original 1040  column wrong. and I changed every number manually in that column and it still shows I owe $45 even though there are no changes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies