Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SierraJaay18
Returning Member

Qualifying Relative/Child

I've been filing my taxes on my own since 2015. I usually always file straight away but this year, 2022, I filed later than normal since I had a child and worked for Doordash and Amazon and wanted to make sure everything was correct. When I went to file it turns out my father claimed me as a qualifying relative without telling me. He told me he would amend it so I mailed my taxes in. However, I'm nervous he won't fix his because he has owed taxes and has not paid them for about 3 years. I'm looking at the requirements for qualifying relatives and I made more than $5,000 in 2021. Does this automatically disqualify me on his taxes and I will get my refund problem-free or what usually happens? do we both get letters to fix our taxes? If it disqualifies me, do I have to do anything or wait until he fixes his taxes? 

Thank you!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SierraJaay18
Returning Member

I should also mention he did provide majority of my support (utilies, water, etc.) but I paid for my own food and gas. 

the fact that your income exceeds $4300 disqualifies him from claiming you as a dependent.  it's that simple. 

just sit tight and wait for the IRS to straighten it out - that could take - get ready - at least 6 months. 

since he claimed you and your child you’ll need to submit a return to IRS with you and child. Then the IRS will review the return and send correspondence to both of you to straighten it out. If  deduction they will notify you both by mail to provide supporting documents for the return  filed. But it’ll take at least 6 months to get there. IIRS is understaffed. 

Adult child lived in household during the year 2022 without earned income; provided 100% support.

Adult child has no income.

You can claim adult child if they had less than $4,400 total income.

Who can I claim as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies