turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Owing the IRS from previous year

I previously owed the IRS for the tax year of 2015, and have agreed to make payments. Will the amount owed to the IRS be deducted before I receive my return, or am I responsible for paying once I receive return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have an outstanding tax debt owed to the IRS, your refund will be seized up to the amount owed for back taxes.  You do not have to put anything about it on your return.  The iRS knows.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you have an outstanding tax debt owed to the IRS, your refund will be seized up to the amount owed for back taxes.  You do not have to put anything about it on your return.  The iRS knows.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Does my tax refund go directly to what I owe from 2015 ? 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. Any refund received in subsequent tax years will be applied to any taxes owed from previous years. This will occur even if you are in an installment agreement, or payment plan, with the IRS. They are aware of the balance owed and will automatically apply any refund to the amount due.

Refund Inquiries for Balance Due

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies